1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help with my new betta fish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by princessjen, Jun 20, 2005.

1. princessjen

princessjen New Member

Help !

I just got a betta fish last night. He wont eat. I gave him the flakes, he would'nt eat that. So then I went out and bought him the pellets and he wont eat that either. He seems happy and healthy, swimming around. Could he just be stressed out from getting a new home? What should I do?

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yes, it sound possible that your betta is still a little stressed and is getting used to its new home.

3. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Shouldnt expect him to eat right away. Hes still stressed and has no idea wuts going on, and bettas like pellets more then flakes so stay away from flakes

4. princessjen

princessjen New Member

Thanks guys,

Also, I bought a light to go over the aquarium. When and how long do I leave it on for?

5. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

a good time would be between 8-10 hours if you can for lighting.

6. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

what kind of tank is he in ?

7. princessjen

princessjen New Member

2 Litre aquarium. He seems very happy, making lots a bubbles.

8. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

2 litres is only about half a gallon which is way to small for a betta. It's probably a commercial tanks made "especially for bettas" right?

You should look into a tank that about 2 gallons or more, he would be a lot happier.

If he's not eating the pellets of flakes yet you could try freeze dried blood worms. Mine go crazy over them.

9. Trickster

Trickster New Member

If hes making alot of bubbles (A bubble nest) it means he wants to breed. If u want u can get a 5-10 g and a female (Of same color) and try breeding. Bettas lay eggs and the bubble nest is where the male puts the eggs.

10. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Breeding bettas is only a good idea if you have the space and an lfs already lined up to take the fry when they're big enough. Bettas can have hundreds of eggs which means hundred of fry and hundreds of containers to keep them seperate and a lot of lfs' already have commercial suppliers lined up that always have bettas in stock.

11. Trickster

Trickster New Member

you can remove most of the eggs and get rid of them because they aient living thigns yet. You can keep like 5 in a 20g with tank dividers creating 5 spaces, It looks realy nice.

12. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Instead of going to all the trouble of finding a female, setting up the breeding environment and removing the eggs why not just go and buy more bettas?

13. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

yea i would not breed betta unless you have ALOT of room and homes for all of the babys

14. princessjen

princessjen New Member

I don't intend on having any baby fishies.

15. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

you can just scoop the bubbles out if you want

16. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Scooping them out wont make the betta to happy, cuz then he has to remake the entire nest, takes alot of work, i actually watched my betta make a bubble nest, 1 bubble at a time, took a long time.