1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help with new puppy please.

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by mamato2cuties, Feb 27, 2012.

1. mamato2cuties

mamato2cuties New Member

I have had a puppy before, but it's been a while. I got a 9week old beagle on Thursday. I was just needing some reliable resources on house training, proper feeding amounts and how often. How often I should take him out, the proper way to crate train. Basically I want to know everything I can about raising this puppy. Since I have brought him home he has done nothing but while. If I am not holding him, he is whining. He whines when he is in the floor playing, outside going potty, eating, whatever he does, he whines. I can't help but feel I am doing lots wrong and just want the best for my little guy. Thanks for any help.

I should add I have two kids, so when he is in his crate at night I have to have him in another room so be doesn't wake them. Should I set an alarm and take him out every few hours during the night too?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi and congratulations on your new addition.

Firstly i will say that whining is normal for a puppy that is away from his mom and litter mates.

The first mistake people make with a whiny pup is to go to them when they cry, to pick them up and to make a fuss over them, This will train your new pup that when it wants your attention just to cry and you will give it eventually training you to its commands.

Crying during the night is also normal as everything is new and takes some time to adjust i find placing an old top with your scent on in the crate with a teddy bear helps, also placing a ticking clock under his blankets can mimic the mothers heartbeat.

NEVER go to your pup if he is crying for attention you will soon learn his Cry for being hungry or needing the bathroom.

Every couple of hours he may need to use the bathroom this varies from pup to pup i have had puppies that have slept right through the night.

I have added some links on Crate training, Feeding a general care which i hope will help...

http://www.veanimals.com/dogs/dog-train ... right.html

http://www.beagledogtrainingtips.com/beagle-puppy-care

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/feeding.htm

Hope these are useful.

Mike

3. Mandy7

Mandy7 New Member

Hi, I just got a pug puppy the lady I got her from said she is 5 weeks old and I think she is younger what should I do when I got her she was in bad shape she had fleas all over her I am going to take her to the vet Monday.

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Mandy7, THis is why we in the UK do not allow our pups to leave their mom until they are at least8 weeks old.

I would feed her little and often not too much as she is only small, and instead of water try a milk replacement your local vet or petstore will advise you on which is best.

She should be ok as puppies are usually either weaned from mom or partially so it will be upto you to help with the rest.
    When you see the vet he/she will give you all the informaion you need to help raise a strong healthy pup and they should treat the fleas for you..

Mike