1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

help with stripping

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by tmountain, Jun 28, 2004.

1. tmountain

tmountain New Member

Hi to everyone. Ive been researching different dog breeds that would be good for our family of six. Ive decided that the best for us would be a mini schnauzer, but im confused about the stripping part. Does this have to be done? Ive never done stripping. My 17 yr son brought his friend over with his 2 yr mini schnauzer who had soft coat.I dont think he was stripped. Can a groomer do the stripping? I dont mind doing it if I knew how. I wont be getting a pup for a few months, but wanted to do alot of research before I get one. Thanks :D

2. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:eek: Hi, WELCOME to the board tmountain!!! :eek:

Here are some links on stripping (a dog, that is :wink: ):

http://members.aol.com/msbritmor/hndstrip.html

http://www.zooclub.ru/eng/dogs/uhod/7.shtml

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/schnauz.html#Coat

http://www.katewerk.com/trim.html

Hope some of those links will give you some insight on stripping a schnauzer! :y_the_best:

In my opinion, stripping is quite a bit of work, so if I had the choice, I would leave it up to a groomer to do. However, that is TOTALLY up to you!

Best wishes with your future schnauzer pup! :D

3. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Hello & welcome to the boards!!

I must say, for someone like me who has never heard of stripping pertaining to dogs, that subject title is quite the eye catcher! :mrgreen:

MyBaby, as always, has come to the rescue! Good luck with your future puppy! :eek:

4. karma

karma New Member

Stripping is not necessary, no. Most pet schnauzers are not stripped. Stripping involves plucking out hairs with a stripping knife, and it's done to remove the old growth as it ages and keep just the healthy newer hairs. It maintains the wiry texture of the coat better than clipping does (however if your dog is clipped there are ways to keep the coat wiry if you like it that way.) Stripping is time-consuming and costly, and not all pet groomers do it. It's mainly used for show dogs, or those pet owners who wish to keep their dogs in show condition.

Most pet schnauzers are just clipped to keep the length manageable.

5. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Even though I am familiar with stripping (never done it, just know about it), it was still a catchy title...I had to laugh though! :lol:

:D

6. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Now that I read that statement I made, that didn't come out quite right...but y'all know what I mean! :D

7. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

It really is! For those two reasons alone, I wouldn't bother having it done for just a "regular pet schnauzer." But, each to his own I guess!

8. tmountain

tmountain New Member

Thanks to everyone for their input. I was under the impression that it had to be done. When I met my sons friends mini schnauzer I fell in love with this breed. Im a animal lover and love all breeds, if I had a larger place I would have more. Im glad I found this site, Ive learned so much on the different breeds that are out there. Everyone here is so nice. Thanks

9. tmountain

tmountain New Member

I forgot to add that my future mini schnauzer will be a family pet who will be my walking buddy and who will get alot of love

10. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

:lol: :lol: MyBaby!!!!!

11. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

LOL!
    I agree... the title had me clicking the mouse sooooo fast!!! :)

hehe... and LMAO@mybabyshih! :) SURE it didn't come out right.... hehe

12. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Well, there was that one time...JUST KIDDING (no, really, I am :wink: )!!! :mrgreen:

Monster, I knew you would have something to say about that comment!

To strip, or not to strip, that is the question?

To be quite honest with you, I have heard varying opinions on whether it should be done or not on pet schnauzers. I personally don't believe it's essential in a typical pet schnauzer, but some would disagree with me (more for the reason of "looks" rather than anything else). So, talk to other people you see with schnauzers, groomers, your vet, etc. and get their opinion(s) on the issue! :y_the_best:

That's great...sounds like your future schnauzer will have a great home, family, and life with you!!! :eek:

13. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Well I've done alot of stripping. And the electrician got quite happy when he heard a stripper would be at he job. OOOPPPPpss, Oh well I was stripping paint. Too bad for him huh.
    Well, now my mother in law has a mini schnauzer and he gets shaved not stripped. I believe stripping is more for cairne terrriers and such. Hers just needs the monthly clipping either from the groomer or yourself.
    Stripping is done with your hands or a stripping tool(rake,knife), thankfully you don't need to do this.

Also remember the schnauzer is prone to skin problems. They get these pimply like bumps. Sometimes needing to be surgically removed. Benziol peroxide shampoo for dogs is one way of handling it.

14. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

:lol: LMAO!!! :lol:

15. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I thought someone may get a laugh out of that. I think its pretty funny.