1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help with Tail rot diesise

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Guppycare, May 8, 2006.

1. Guppycare

Guppycare New Member

Hi i recently lost 3 guppies do to fin tail rot dieses and i have another fish in the aquarium should i take him out will he be affected by it to? It's an jellybean fish. hes fins seem perfectly fine but im just wondering thanks.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How big is the tank?
    What fish are in it, and how big are they?
    What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte (actual numbers, please)?
    Is your jellybean parrot dyed (ie some weird color like blue, green, or purple)?

Fin rot is a bacterial infection generally brought about by poor water quality so it's not really contageous but any fish exposed to high levels of ammonia, nitrIte, and/or nitrAte will be susceptible (and if your parrot is dyed, it will likely have a much weaker immune system and be more susceptible). You can treat fin rot with an antibiotic like Maracyn 2, but you also need to take care of the root cause (likely the water quality) or the medicine won't do much good.

-Chelle

3. Guppycare

Guppycare New Member

Here is the info

Hi sorry i took so long to get back here is the answers to almost all of your questions.

How big is the tank 10 Gal

What fish are in it, and how big are they? just a jelly bean fish (about an inch maybe a bit smaller)

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte (actual numbers, please)? Sorry i do not have a test kit but i am making a trip to a petstore today so if you could recomend a brand or what type to get that would be great :D

Yes My jelly bean fish is dyed a blue color but has a really faint blue color now.

Also If there is anything i can do to get rid of the disease in the tank like any medicines please let me know thank you for all of your help :eek:

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Re: Here is the info

Personally, I use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals tests. They seem to be pretty accurate. The most important ones are ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte. pH is also a nice one to have, but not as essential. Definitely don't get any of the dip stick tests, though, they're notorious for being inaccurate.

While you're at the LFS, I'd also suggest picking up some Maracyn 2. That comebined with better water quality should heal up the fins.

In the mean time, I'd start doing small daily water changes just in case.

And a couple other things I'd like to mention:
    You're going to need something bigger than a 10 gallon tank if you want to keep the fish. If it's actually a blood parrot (sometimes dyed ones are called jellybean parrots), they can get around 8" so you'd need at least a 40 gallon tank. If it's an actual jellybean parrot (a cross between a blood parrot and a convict), it shoudn't get quite as large and you could probably get by with around a 25 - 30 gallon tank.

As for dyed fish, I'm assuming you don't know about the process of dyeing fish. It's actually a really horrible process that kills most fish. The ones that survive are left with weakened immune systesm and generally don't live nearly as long as non-dyed fish.

The process involves dipping the fish in a strong chemical that strips off their protective slime coat. They are then dipped in dye, then dipped in another strong chemical that makes them regenerate their slime coat. You can read more about it here: http://deathbydyeing.org.

What's done is done, but in the future, please refrain from buying more dyed fish.

-Chelle

5. Guppycare

Guppycare New Member

thank you veyr much

Thank you very much i just went down and got the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master test kit and i picked up some of the Nitrate test cause that didnt come with the master one also i picked up some Maracyn 2.

Wow thank you i did not know that i will proabley give him to my uncle who has a 45 gal im sure he/she would like to swim around in something bigger.

Wow i did not know that the website was great. That is trully a horible thing to do :( i know i will never buy a colored fish again. That really is sad :m16:

I also have a quick question you dont have to answer it if ya dont want to but if you do then be my guest.

What do you think i could stock in a 10 gal is a 10 to small should i upgrade to a 29 gal?

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member