1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by lanena322, Apr 22, 2004.

1. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

Okay, I have this problem with Laika and I dont know how to deal with it.

Well Laika and Nana get tied up in the middle of the day out on the porch to get fresh air, since our yard isnt fenced in. Well a little while ago my mom told me that i'd better watch Laika real close because there was this guy that stopped by our house and was staring at Laika and when my mom came out he acted real suspicious and started talking about how much money these dogs are worth over here, and blah.

Well the way my mom siad it, I am now worried about leaving Laika outside while im inside, even though Nana will bark at anything or anyone that gets near the porch. Can anyone give me any advice on how I can protect Laika, I just got her and I would hate to look outside one day and find her gone!

2. Nik

Nik New Member

Eek, that is a little scary. Isn't it a shame that when someone passes a nice comment nowadays we automatically have to presume they have alterior motives? :(

Anyway, I don't see you have that many options really. Maybe sit in a place where you can watch over them for a while, or sit out with them, or even better, play outside with them. How about taking them for a walk instead of tying them up? Sometimes a ten minute walk can be better than an hour just laying around the yard. Hmm, I can't think of anything else, sorry.
    Good Luck tho.

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

My suggestion would be to only have her outside when you or your mom are out there with her so if he really wants to dognap her then he doesn't have the opportunity to.

My cousin used to put her cockapoo out in the backyard in the mornings while she got ready for school and someone stole him right out of the backyard. One minute he was barking at someone and when they went to check on him he was gone!

4. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

I know I shouldnt get so uptight about it, but the way my mom said it gave me the creeps. She is a beautiful pup, the only thing is she is going to have a white spot on her chest and that disqualifies her from the show ring right? well im thinking of competing in obedience with her.

I love them both to pieces and wouldnt want anything to happen to them. As for the walk thng, I think it is a definate, I take them around 5:30 to 6:00 when the sun is setting and it isnt too hot. but we tie them up on the porch because my mom is a neat freak and she cleans alot so when she is cleaning we tie them up.

I am trying not to be paranoid but there are very few people in this neighborhood that are trustworthy. :(

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Better safe than sorry.

As for your mom's cleaning, why not have a room just for them to be in when she is cleaning like the laundry room or kitchen instead of putting them on the porch.

6. It really is sad that we have to worry about someone stilling our beloved pets :x I'm sure you'll figure a way to keep an eye on them, sounds like you have it figured out! that's good....

That reminded me of something that happened about 18 yrs ago. My husband and I were sitting on the couch watching T.V. when we heard a pecking sound coming from our back slinding glass door. We looked over to see this little cockateil pecking away! then staring back behind him and pecking away again. As we got closer we could see what he kept looking back at, it was a CAT on top of our back fence! We hurridly opened the door, and the little guy flew right in. He was the cutest thing! he belonged to our neighbor, apparently he had gotten out while they were cleaning his cage. An to thier delight we were able to reunite them. I love good endings :D But I will never forget it!

Susan

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

wasn't too long ago here in NH a poodle was taken from someone's front yard (while they were inside) and the dog was found a few miles down the road - legs duct taped together - some arsehold had dragged the dog behind their car :0021: ended up being the owner of the dog's daughter's BF (he was mad at the dog's owner). The dog did survive and they caught the guy.

But better safe than sorry. Too many freak'in goatlicking weirdos running around these days.

8. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Condisder a 10"x 10' x 6' high chain link dog run.
    Save up some money and as fast as you can consider a 10"x 10' x 6' high chain link dog run.
    Even a small fenced in area in the back yard is not that high in cost if you do it yourself.
    www.drsfostersmith.com has runs that are around $200.00 and up and you could lock it shut out back.

2pyrs

9. loonyluna

loonyluna New Member

What about tying them up in the backyard where they are less visible to passers by?

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I agree with everyone about not leaving them outside unattended. It doesn't take long at all for someone to grab her and run, especially with her still so small.

You might also get her microchipped, if that is available where you live. That way if the worst did happen, you can have proof that she is your dog. And maybe if you or your mom sees this creepy guy again, you can casually mention she is microchipped.

Jamiya

11. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

This is a big problem where we live, alot of purebreed dogs have been stolen out of our area. We believe they are trying to sell them to lab companys, since alot who were microchipped have been returned. The lab company scans the animals and looks for any tatoos.

One night my dogs were outside it was probly like 11pm and my husky started growling and barking, this is very unusual for her. I went out side and someone was at my gate with a chain trying to get in. I scared them off when I came outside, but thank god I was in the kitchen where I was close and could hear her. I believe they are drugging some of the dogs that they have taken b/c alot of them were very large protective dogs that would not go on their own. Anyway sorry to ramble, we lock our gate now and are very watchfull when they are in the yard. Its a shame I cant let my dogs enjoy the after noon sun without being worried someone will take them!

12. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I would get a lock for the gate, that sounds too suspicous. And if your some reason you cant, then only let tet.cour supervised

Honeybear

13. Jules

Jules New Member

I was so worried about someone stealing my pup when she was a bit younger. I still worry about it now, but not as much. It's sad that people will do this for money.
    I worry about people trying to rob us and baiting the dogs. I once got home and my gate had been kicked open (i didn't think it was too easy to do) and the first thing I thought about was Bender. I freaked out and luckily he was still there. I didn't give a s*#% about if anyone had stolen anything else! Now I have a chain that wraps around with a padlock. Although the chain would be a breeze to cut with bolt cutters. It's sad that our biggest enemies are fellow human beings.

14. Jody

Jody New Member

Jules, I am the same, I worry constantly about Jasper being baited also. They can take anything they can from the house, but if they did anything to my dog, I'd be out to kill them........ :x :x

Jody

15. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

My husband doesn't think along the same lines as I do. Every once in a while, he goes back to work after lunch and leaves the garage door open. That means anyone can walk right into our house. And the room they will enter first is the room where the dogs stay during the day!

The first time it happened after we got Nala, I called him up - I was livid! - and asked him what would happen if someone took Nala!! I'm sure that never crossed his mind.

Sort of like the time we were driving home at night after a walk in the park. We had our daughter (10) in the back seat and Nala in her crate in the back of the station wagon. He was joking around about driving off the dam into the lake and I said, "We'd have to swim around back and let Nala out!" He just stared at me. His only thought was for our daughter - naturally I'd make sure SHE got out first, but after that I'd be diving for the dog!

Jamiya