1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

help

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by OneWolvesDream, May 26, 2004.

1. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

my red wagtail platy is really tired out because of the male constantly chasing her but he has been leavin her allone for the past few few days she has been really really tired even if he leaves her allone!

also my male is swimming up and down and he suddanly starts swimin on his side he is in great health but somthin is wrong

2. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

I dont know what you can do about your male's swimming problem, but I think I can help you with the female. If he's chasing her around a lot, take him out of the tank and put him in a different one. Keep her in the original tank though, she'll be stresses out as it is from being chased so much, and changing tanks will probably make her worse. So removed your male. Sorry I couldnt help you with the other issue...

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i would and some more females then the male will have more females to mate with so it will reduce the stress of the male

4. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

If you have room in your tank for another female or two that is another solution to the constant nagging. The male sounds like he has swim bladder problems. It could be from constipation, poor water quality, fighting, handling, or breeding. The good part is it's not contagious. Hopefully it's not from water quality because then it would be a bacterial infection and could require antibiotics and definately you would need do a few water changes to get it fixed up fast so no other fish get sick. If it is from constipation then it is likely to happen again. If it is for any of the other reasons then the fish will need some time to heal and then he could recover in that case I would recommend melafix. I hope this helps you figure it out! Take care. O:)

5. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

i refuse to use melafix. i think thats what caused the probolem. i added the correct amount into my water and it drugged all my platys. they are fine once the carbon filter clears the stuff at the end of the day but i thing comsumption of the product has caused internal probolems. so if you are reading this DONT use melafix on any form of platy! it works fine on tetras and angels though

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

That's odd. I use Melafix all the time and I've never had anything but good results. I've even used it in tanks with my frogs (who are nutoriously sensitive to most meds) and they were fine.

-Chelle