1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Kou, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Kou

Kou New Member

I have a mixed breed dog who scratches.. all the time. I got him shampoos to help, which made his hair grow back and the red areas go away.. I think it's just nerves. Is it possible? He was badly neglected and mistreated before I adopted him. Can anyone suggest something to help him?

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

welcome! have you ruled out fleas? fleas are usually the #1 source of scratching. hmm if he last his hair and now its back, maybe something like mites or a mange?

honeybear

3. Kou

Kou New Member

Nope, not mange though it could be mites. I take good care to minimize his 'flea colony', LOL. I don't like using too many poisons.. because they're.. well.. poisons.. but I don't think it's fleas.

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

what ar you using for flea control? it could be he is allrgic to it.

Honeybear

5. Kou

Kou New Member

I've ruled that out too. I really think it may be his nerves.. and wanting attention. He does it then stares at me :shock: like he expects something. I'm not sure I understand it. I put him out and he wants back in so it's not that he has to use the restroom, and I don't pet him after he does it anymore because it makes him do it MORE!! He can go ALL night sometimes to keep us awake!

6. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Well Rufus my boy used to do the same thing. Until I finally found the right food for him. I went thru about four different foods, from petco :oops: then went to the right place and put him on Innova. Not more clanking of his tags driving me nuts.

7. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

It very well could be allergies to something, either his food or something in your house. How long has this been going on? If its just recently, maybe its a reaction to rolling in the grass.

My suggestion would to either eliminate one thing per week to see if anything changes. (try a different food, less time outside on grass) or you can go to the vet and get allergy tests done.

It could also be anxiety. He could feel anxious when you are not paying attention to him, and this is how he shows his anxiety. Since he can't voice it, almost like how soem ppl cut themselves out of anger. That may be a bad example, just trying to explain non-verbal ways of communicating. Anyways, have you ever done OB training with him? If not, I would sign the 2 of you up for a class. Its a GREAT way to bond with your dog, and it really builds their self confidence.

Good luck!

8. GinaH

GinaH New Member

My Pekingese use to scratch all day everyday and also had hair loss from the scratching. My vet ruled out fleas and mites. And has finally concluded that it is allergies after many expensive tests finally he has suggested she come in once a month for an allergy shot. She had her first shot 3 weeks ago and now no more scratching.
    That very well could be your dogs problem

9. Carissa

Carissa New Member

FYI Mites and mange are the same thing. If I were you the next time you go to the vet get a skin scraping to see if they find mites, mites will cause scratching, red bald areas, and dandruff (some or all of the above). There are two main types of mange, Demodectic mange (demodex mites) is caused mainly by an immune imbalance, the long term solution to this is to feed the dog high quality food and give supplements to help the immune system. Sarcoptic mange is caused by an parasitic mite and needs to be treated with medication/baths/cleaning to get rid of it. This one is often not found in a skin scraping but you will know because eventually when they get bad enough they will start biting you. Hope this helps!

10. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I have heard plenty about mange but I personally have never heard anyone call ear mites, mange. I think they are a different type. Anyone know any different. I'm eager to learn.

11. Kou

Kou New Member

I never thought about food as a source of allergy.. he's tried three different types in the two years I've had him.. plus numerous others his previous owner gave him (if she gave him any.. he was starved and puking.. stomach problems.. blech I don't want to get into it.. "oh I fed him scraps out the window" my as----I mean, butt.) And as the previous post stated.. I was thinking of ear mites and mange seperately. He had skin problems, but my vet had recommended some shampoo that I couldn't afford for skin irritation.. so I got a cheaper kind of it and that got rid of all the rough, red, bald spots and the bleeding.

12. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Demodectic mange is caused by a microscopic mite called Demodex canis. All dogs raised normally by their mothers possess this mite as mites are transferred from mother to pup via cuddling during the first few days of life.

Sarcoptic mange is the name for the skin disease caused by infection with the Sarcoptes scabei mite. Mites are not insects; instead they are more closely related to spiders. They are microscopic and cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Been there with the first one and it is something I wish on know animal. We had to dress in rubber aprons and wear long rubber gloves. Coating the dogs eyes with grease and special eye drops and sponge and dip the dog to it's mouth being careful not to let it drink any of the water. This poor dog was bleeding from biting and scratching so much so the dip would burn as well. The stuff used is insecticide very poisonous to dogs and people. In the old days farmers us to pour motor oil all over the dog to clear up mange.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/sarcoptic_mange.html

2pyrs

13. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

Fleas,food,nervousness, mange, allergic reaction to pollen,grass,carpet and even dust mites. $ 600.00 dollars and we found out it was dust mites, little bites with red dots and hair loss from biting at them. No cure, we just us a powder and brushed every other day. Runny eyes and noise.We even had one allergic to mold spores and that was a real problem being near the lake here.
    I am not sure if it would be cheaper in the end and nicer to your pet to have it tested for food allergies, soybean,corn.ect. vet would tell you the best to check for.
    Change from home to new owner can effect how a dog reacts. Cause are not known but some feel it is related to the immune system for many of these things.

2pyrs