1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Help!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Kassandra, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Kassandra

Kassandra New Member

Yes I need help.

My mom is allergic to long fur that sheds, and we really all want a dog except my mom. She says that ALL dogs shed.

We already have a siamese kitty cat, she doesnt shed much.

She also says it'll be to much work.

What would be the best dog breed for us? I hope you could help!!

Thanks for reading.

2. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

kassandra: You might try suggesting to your Mom about adopting a Greyhound. Their coats are almost like velvet and hardly any shedding. Just once in awhile rub a soft brush on them.

If interested I can link you up to some adoption sites.

Also I might add, they look like a big dog but actually they're mostly just legs. When they curl up on their beds they almost look small. :lol:

Very wonderful and beautiful dogs.

3. lil96

lil96 New Member

maybe if you take care of your friends dog, (was it a beagle) I forget. they have nice short hair.

4. seaecho

seaecho New Member

Boxers have VERY short hair, and I don't notice mine shedding at all. Chinese cresteds supposedly don't shed, and they have very little hair except on their heads and feet (that is, if you don't get a powder puff). I read somewhere that Chihuahuas are hyper allergenic. Don't know if that's true or not. Our Dane's hair is as short as our Boxer's and he doesn't seem to shed either. At least we don't notice it. NOTHING like a Pug's hair, anyway. We have two of those too!

5. CaneCorso

CaneCorso New Member

Your mom is right

Regardless of what breeds, all dogs shed and even a greyhound. My dad is allergic to cats and his eyes would get huge and red. We could get a cornish Rex, but this hypoallergic cornish red does bother my dad.... We better off not having any cats. I wanted a cat, but I realized that this is not going to be good for my dad's health.

There are hypoallergic breeds, but you will have to do research on what is right for your mom.

Do Not get a Mixed breed such as cockapoo, peekapoo, etc
    Don't get me wrong, I do like mix breed, but mixed breed is not good for someone who has allergies.

Hypoallergic breeds

Chinese Crested
    Mexican Hairless
    Maltese
    Poodle
    Peruvian Inca Orchid
    Basenji
    Bichon Frise
    Irish Water Spaniel
    Italian Greyhound
    Portuguese Water Dog
    Schnauzers(large/small)
    Coton de Tulear
    American Water Spaniel
    standard poodle
    Bedington Terrier
    Lakeland Terrier
    Norfolk Terrier
    Soft Coated Wheaton Terrier
    American Hairless Terrier
    Kerry Blue Terrier
    Irish Terrier
    Fox Terrier

Note:
    Chihuahua- is not suitable for dog allergic people!

Dander dog breeds
    It is found that more rapid in breeds that are prone to the various forms of dry and oily seborrhea, a skin disease involved dry or grase scaling, such as cocker spaniel, springer spaniels, west highland terrier, chinese shar-pei, basset hounds, etc...

From Dog Fancy Magaizne, April 1998 "Got Your Dander UP?" by Susan H. Bertram, DVM

"According to this article about human pet allergies, it is a myth that non shedding breeds of dog are less likely to cause allergies. The breeds (bichon frise, poodle, schnazuer) with a reputation of being hypoallergic are those that get bathed and groomed frequently. It is known that bathing cats decases the amount of allergen on their skin and it is assumed the same is true for dogs."

Dog World Magazine, Aug 1998, "Keep Your Dog's Dander in Check" by W. Bradford swift, DVM

"This article also dispels the myth of hypoallergenic dogs, but mentions that certain breeds (terriers, Poodles, Bichon Frise) are thought to produce less dander than other breeds. However, according to this article the allergic reactions to dogs depend more on size of the dog than on the breed. The bigger the dog is, the more dander it produces.

Environmental controls and dry skin in dogs are also discussed. Dry skin can result in irritation and itchiness in the pet, which in turn causes even more dander to be spread around. This article mentions several common causes of dry skin in dogs, including poor nutrition, lack or improper balance of essential fatty acids in the dog's diet, overbathing the dog or using a wrong kind of shampoo (e.g. human shampoos or using a medicated shampoo too frequently), not brushing the dog frequently enough to release more oil to the coat, and several medical reasons (e.g. various forms of mange, hormonal disorders, fleabite allergies, chronic bacterial dermatitis). "

6. Kassandra

Kassandra New Member

Well, i was wondering bichon matese or however u spell it dont shed, also do italian greyhounds shed? i wanted a basenji but i dont have any sites for adoption to go to..

7. Sara

Sara New Member

If you want an easier dog I'd NOT opt for a Basenji as they are a hound type and hounds are known to be stubborn and need exercise and training...they can get very destructive and their stubborness and smarts can get them into trouble... Research MANY breeds to see which one is right for you and your mother...

8. silver

silver New Member

Not all dogs shed too much, i'm allergic to cats, and i really wanted a dog, so I found a dog that doesn't shed a ton!! A dachshund!! :D

9. seaecho

seaecho New Member

I have to agree about a Basenji. They have not been domesticated nearly as long as most breeds, and can display a lot of undomesticated behavior, including being very difficult to train. Doxies do often have back problems (a shame since many of them are very sweet) so you might want to take that into consideration. It can be heartbreaking. I love Italian Greyhounds, but did read in several places that they break their legs very easily (sometimes just from jumping off a bed) and that scared me off of them. It seems there are pros and cons to just about every breed. In the end you have to weigh what is most important to you and go from there. Obviously, allergies are number one on the list for you, so that would have to take priority over everything else. Good luck!

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Also, your mom is right - dogs ARE a lot of work. TONS of work!! You might look into getting an adult dog that has already been trained. Look at rescues - the foster home can tell you a lot about the dog and what bad habits and good habits it has. Or look at your local shelters and see if any have one of those programs where the dogs are trained (like by prison inmates) before being adopted. Or a retired show dog - hard to find but well worth the effort.

11. CaneCorso

CaneCorso New Member

Don't get confused.. Allergies has very little thing to do with shedding, it is the dander that what bother people with allergies.

12. CaneCorso

CaneCorso New Member

Agreed..... I think that people should not focus on one kind breed that they think that is cute and buy it without doing any research...