1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

hematoma of the ear

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by footsie, Jan 12, 2006.

1. footsie

footsie New Member

Hi,

I used to post here a lot, but its been a long time!

Footsie got a hematoma in his ear over Christmas and has an operation on Jan 2 to drain the blood out of his ear.

At the time, the vet told me that she recommended the surgery, but it was optional. Going without it would mean that his ear would be permanently deformed and he'd continue to be in pain while the blood reabsorbed.

Its been more than a week. The stitches are healing nicely, but the ear is deforming in exactly the way they said it would if we had skipped the surgery all together. The first couple days after the operation he was obviously in more pain that he had been in before. Also because of the operation, he has to be on antibiotics for a while, which of course he hates taking. He's wearing an e-collar for at least another week which limits his ability to play. He's so depressed and inactive it just breaks my heart. I feel like I put him through all this pain for nothing.

Has anyone been through this? Did you do the operation or let it heal

2. footsie

footsie New Member

Hmm. No one?

I thought I'd share a picture. This is the only one that I have on this online so far. It was taken moments after we got home from the operation, before I had a chance to clean the blood out of the collar. (Footie's not cooperative at the vet and they now have a policy of not dealing with him if he's not sedated, so they couldn't clean it up!)

He looks happy in the picture, but take my word that he is not!

[​IMG]

3. nern

nern New Member

Welcome back!
    I'm sorry to hear about Footsie and I hope he's feeling better soon.

4. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Footsie. :eek: So good to hear from you, even if poor Footsie is not feeling all that great. It's just temporary, he'll perk up as soon as he gets that dreaded cone off. I remember when Handsome (R.I.P.) had that dreadful cone on as a kitten and he would get a bunch of soft food stuck in the cone and the other kittens would then come over and eat out of the cone. He'd get so annoyed. Anyway, sorry I went back in time there for a moment. I think you did the right thing. Have you asked the vet how crucial it is the have the cone on? Do you think Footsie would actually scratch his ear? He'll be better soon. It was really nice to get an update on him. I missed him. Take care Footsie, I hope you feel better soon.

5. vene

vene New Member

Hi. It's great to have you back! I'm so sorry to hear about Footsie. :( I hope he feels better soon. *Hugs* to you both.

6. footsie

footsie New Member

[​IMG]

One month after the surgery. The ear will look a lot like this for the rest of his life.
    I think it makes him look tough.

7. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Yes, he does look rather tough. :wink: I think you are still a great looking cat, Footsie.

8. vene

vene New Member

Footsie's got character now. He's just as handsome! I love his mane.