1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Hong Kong plec/Chinese Algae eater?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by 3_second_memory, Feb 8, 2005.

1. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

ok, well in the uk, i have a fish like a ray, that stays small. I call it a hong kong plec, work call it a chinese algae eater, so i refered to it as a CAE here, and they said the CAE is a loach, but our CAE loaches are just called algae eaters, and these plec things are called chinese algae eaters, but other places call them hong kong plecs.

aparently they dont have the mouth for a plec, but id consider a CAE one of those loach things, coz we have them at work too.

any explanation?

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Hong Kong plecos are not catfish like other plecos, they're hillstream fish. They're also referred to a Borneo plecos. They generally get about 3".

Hong Kong Pleco:

[​IMG]

CAE's are commonly sold as just "Algae eaters". When I bought my CAE a while back it was just an algae eater.

CAE:

[​IMG]

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i used to have a hongkong pleco.....years ago, i totally forgot about them until i saw that picture......i boguht it under the name "butterfly pleco"

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I've heard them called hillstream loaches. Saw one at the LFS a while back. Pretty little fish but I don't have anywhere to put one. :(

-Chelle

5. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

I also saw them under the name of Butterfly Plecostomus. A new pet store just opened up in town and it ships in all kinds of plecostomus'. I absolutely adore plecos, and I wanted to get one of the butteryfly ones, as well as one of the Clown and Spotted ones, but plecos dont do well together, and I already have one to occupy both tanks :( . Oh well though. I can always go and look at them. :wink:

6. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i ahve only seen the plecos once though, and that was about 2 years ago.....havnt seen them since.

7. tski22

tski22 New Member

I saw them recently in an lfs and was going to purchase one but thoguht twice and decided tor esearch. Maybe I should get one for my 15 gallon.

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

From what little I've been able to find on them, they prefer slightly cooler water (around 72ish) and are fairly delicate.

-Chelle

9. Hai

Hai New Member

3_second_memory, Aqueous is accurate on the names and pictures. The rest are also correct on the names Butterfly Pleco / Hillstream Loach. It is also called Stingray Pleco. From its scientific name Gastromyzon borneensis you can see that it is from Borneo Island in South East Asia. From one of its names Hillstream Loach you can see that it needs strong current in aquarium.