1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

horrible accident

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by cacey, Apr 20, 2004.

1. cacey

cacey New Member

:cry: Something horrible just happened and I'm making myself sick over it.............I just got home from work and my kitten Simon(persian) had the runs and he and the floor and my bed and his litter box and etc. etc. were coverd in runny pooo, so I'm trying to clean him off and I have to give him a bath but I had to cut some of the dryed clumps off so I'm cutting them off and then I realize I cut him, he just sqeeked a little and squirmed but he was purring and is running around playing like nothing happened, but he has this at least an inch long gash by his tail, it didn't really bleed either but I can see ripped flesh. I'm so sick over this. Should I be very worried, should he get stitches, he acts like it's not even there, I've heard animals have a really high pain tolerance, what if it gets infected from the poo? I"M SOOOOOOOOOO FREAKED OUT!!! I put neosporin on it.........is that a good thing? HELP!!!

2. cacey

cacey New Member

Also do cats heal pretty fast ..........do you think it will heal up quickly??

3. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

if its not bleeding all the time things should be ok. you can wash it several times a day with a salt water solution. i dont know what the equivilent of neosporin is over here so i dont know if you can use it. but ive heard others saying you can so, someone in the US talk! :p pheobe is trying to eat my crumpets.

4. nern

nern New Member

Its not that they have a high pain tolerance but rather that they hide their pain well. In their natural enviroment sickness or injury attracts predators so its instinctive for them to hide their pain.
    If possible, I would take him to the vet....just to be sure that the wound does'nt get infected and so it can be stitched if neccessary.
    Keep us posted.

5. KittyTales

KittyTales New Member

Just wash His tail and wrap it in a peice of cloth.It should heal pretty quickly I guess. :)

6. moose

moose New Member

yes, using neosporin is fine for cuts and such on dogs and cats. however, just like on people, it shouldn't be used as the main treatment for huge gashes. even if it's not bleeding, if it's as big of a cut as you make it sound, you should get him to the vet because it could quickly become infected. better safe than sorry -- don't you think?

btw, wrapping it in cloth or bandages probably won't work too well -- cats tend to tear those things off the first chance they get.

7. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. I'm sorry about your cat's tail. :( I agree with everyone that said to take him to the vet to get his tail checked. However, I also think you should bring in a stool sample being as he has diarrhea. I don't like neosporin. I don't have one tube of it at home or at work. It just has a large amount of petroleum jelly in it( which keeps oxygen out of the wound and creates the perfect warm moist environment for bacteria to breed, ironic as it's suppose to be antibacterial). It is only effective in killing a few bacterias not all. Also on the label it says: "Do not use on puncture wounds." The next time this happens just wash your cat's tail or get some made for cats cleaning wipes at the pet suppy store. I think those are good to have handy just in case.