1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Horrible Friday - Chloe's Sick

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by lucidity03, May 12, 2007.

1. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't been around in awhile. I thought I'd drop in and tell you what happened with Chloe.

Lately she seemed to be losing weight. I started to feel her shoulder bones and the bones above her hind legs. After a few days of noticing this (I tried to give her some canned food and treats to see if she'd beef up) I called the vet and asked how much she weighed when we were last there. She was 10 lb. 9 oz.

We weighed her at home and she's only 6.5 pounds.

Needless to say, I made an appointment ASAP.

She went in last night to the vet. I assumed it'd be worms or dental problems.

As the vet talked, I started to get scared. The vet ordered blood tests and said that it looked like either kidney failure or diabetes. NOT GOOD.

So, they took blood and kept Chloe there in a holding cage for an hour while they processed the bloodwork. They sent us home and told us to return in an hour.

I've been having a lot of personal things going on lately and I'm suffering a huge cold. So, as soon as we got in the car, I lost it. Chloe is my baby and she's MY first cat. She was my b-day gift 7 years ago. I cried for probably an hour assuming that she had kidney failure and was going to be put down.

Hubby was with me the whole time. When it was time to go back for the results, I couldn't go. I was so sick and emotional that I was in no condition to get the results. I asked Jason as he left, 'please bring her back home.' He promised me he would.

An hour and a half later Jason called from the vet. The results were in.

Chloe had good sugar levels... no diabetes. She also had abnormal kidney results... not good. BUT, the results weren't kidney failure... they were because she has a urinary tract infection! I had no idea. She doesn't meow and she hasn't been urinating around the house.

Jason was armed with some meds, some high calorie food, and a large vet bill.

They injected Chloe with fluids (she was dehydrated). When she got home we gave her the new canned food and her first round of meds. Once she settled back in the house, I saw her go to her litterbox about once every 5 minutes. I didn't realize! I never noticed... how awful.

The vet said she may have been in so much pain that she didn't want to eat and thus she lost weight.

I hope that's the case. We're not out of the woods, yet. We need to get weight on her and her blood levels back to normal.

I thought we were going to lose her last night. It was a nightmare.

She's getting as much love and attention as I can possibly give.

The poor thing.

2. halaroo

halaroo New Member

I'm so sorry you're going through this! Poor Chloe! Hopefully you caught it early enough and she'll respond positively to the medication. My thoughts are with you.

3. vene

vene New Member

Big hugs to you and Cloe. Prayers for her speedy recovery. That was quite a scare for you.

Pumpkin just had a nasty ear infection and I didn't know it. I thought it was sparring between Rene and Pumpkin until I took her to the vet. She's on external antibiotics and the vet said she has swimmers ear infection which should clear up in a few days. It would be so easier if the little ones can tell us when they are really sick. I was shocked to find out that Pumpkin lost a couple of lbs. I guess when we are busy it's easy to overlook our kitties' health.

4. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Thanks for the replies.

I do think it's hard to know if a cat is hurting. Chloe wasn't crying when in the litter and she wasn't urinating anywhere so we just didn't notice.

We're only slightly two days into giving her ten days worth of meds. It's not fun and she hates it! The cat who doesn't even meow has been growling at us at pill time. I don't blame her, though.

Vene, I hope pumpkin's feeling better!

5. vene

vene New Member

Hang in there Cloe! Your parents are taking great care of you! :wink: Only 8 more days of pilling and you'd be all done!

Thanks, Lucidity. Pumpkin's ear looks better but there's still blood draining from her ear. We found out something wasn't right when there were blood droplets on the bed covers. Pumpkin isn't acting any different. She's eating, playing, and sleeping just like she normally does. The only abnormal thing she's doing is letting the kids pet her. :mrgreen:

6. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Poor Chloe. I hope the meds are working and she feels better soon.
    She's such a sweet kitty. It is so hard to know when our kitties are hurting. They seem to suffer in silence.

I also hope Pumpkin is feeling better, too, vene. Poor kitty.

Keep us posted on how they are doing, lucidity and vene.

7. vene

vene New Member

How's Cloe doing? Pumpkin is finally all better. :eek: There's no more bloody crud coming out of her ear! I'm so relieved!

8. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I'm glad Pumpkin's doing better!

Chloe is doing pretty well. She's perked up quite a bit in the past few days. We still have many more days of meds and she hates it. But, I think she'll deal with it!

I haven't seen her run to the litter every two minutes so that's good.

9. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

how they scare us!!!! Glad to hear all is well

10. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. I am so glad she is okay. :eek: While I was reading your post I didn't think it would turn out okay for Chloe. So glad when I read it was just a UTI (something treatable). I hope she feels better soon and that she has many more wonderful years with you.

11. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I actually think she's already been gaining some weight. The vet said it'd take a month or two, but she's already not as boney.

We were very lucky that it was just a UTI!

12. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Good to hear she is feeling and looking better. :D

13. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

ooo I'm so sorry you had to go through that but I'm so glad shes okay. Good luck with a speedy recovery. Give her lots of kisses for us :lol:

14. Bente

Bente New Member

I'm glad to hear Chloe is doing better :) Must have been quite scary :?

15. vene

vene New Member

That is happy news that Chloe is gaining weight and on the road to recovery. :eek:

16. cans121

cans121 New Member

I hope your Chloe is okay.