1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Horse Related not Dog related...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Sara, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Sara

Sara New Member

So you horse folks...I know there are a couple... Take a look at this mare I'm thinkin' about getting. She's a Quarab and she's broke and finished for trails and anything I'd want to do...I'm wanting just a hack really. We're selling Andy's mare because she's just impossible. Nice in the saddle but miserable on the ground...you might as well be a door mat and so far I can't do a thing to get her to change...every now and then I wonder if she's blind or missing something in that head of hers...she's not blind and so she must be missing some marbles. Anyway...Here's the mare...she suffered Psyllinium poisoning (I think that's what it's called) where they lose their feet...anyway she went through that at 4yrs and the woman selling her fixed her up and she's now 8 and hasn't had an issue for a few years...everything came back and normal as could be... Sooooo...I'm curious what ya'll think of her conformation...she's just for trails...and fun hacking around English...she goes both too...even better!

Jazzy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/img]

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Not a bad looking mare. Litte on the smaller side, but thats probably coming from the arab in her.

Sillenium poisoning from my understanding can be treated, Much like founder in the feet. One thing to keep in mind, if shes done it before, HIGHLY prone to doing it again.

3. Sara

Sara New Member

Right but we don't have any Sillinium in our soil down here...it's in the mountains and only gets shook lose when folks drill or mine. We're not in the right part of Wyoming for it to happen. Virtually non-existent around here.

Also I was aiming for smaller since she'll just be hacking around in the hills. Easier to meneuver and whatnot. Thanks for the assesment... Maybe this weekend I'll head down to Colorado to take her for a spin.

Sara

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Watch out for it in your feeds though. Alot of sweet feeds have it in it as well.

5. Sara

Sara New Member

I haven't found any information that talks about AFTER poisoning or there being a higher risk for it happening again in a horse who's had it happen before. I would assume that she would be weaker than normal...and would probably be susceptable to founder easier than others but as far as another Selenium issue...it seems that it doesn't work quite that way...

I'm planning on going up to see her in a couple weeks and see how she moves. If she moves clean and sound I'll bring her home, have my farrier take a look and my vet, or he could just answer some questions... Anyway we'll just have to see. She's got a QH that will be out of training shortly to sell too and so that's an option if this girl doesn't work out. PT is in the paper as of yesterday so I just can't keep her. She's just too much I think. NO respect on the ground and she makes me way to nervous even to feed. My Arab who was nutso wasn't as bad as she is. Dumb mare she is.

Sara

6. someday

someday New Member

Cute mare. I haven't been on much lately, so i missed this. Looks like she'd be fine just to hack around on and do trails. Her shoulder looks really funky in that first pic, but i'm guessing it's the angle because it doesn't look like that in the other pics. It just looks pretty upright, which tell me if i'm wrong, but I bet she's gonna move a bit choppy. Looks a bit tied in at the knee too. Nothing that should stop her from doing what you want her to do.

As far as I know, the selenium poisoning shouldn't be a problem if she's doing well now. However, I haven't personally dealt with it.