1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How can i stop my kitten going to the toilet on my bed??

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by beautifulthing, Apr 7, 2004.

?

How long does it take to litter train your kitten

1. Under 8 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 8-12 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Over 12 weeks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. beautifulthing

beautifulthing New Member

Hi everyone,
    Can anyone help me?? I have got a new lovely baby kitten called Cookie, she is 10 weeks old.
    She will not go in her litter tray and only on my bed. I had a brand new bed so I really would like to save it :mrgreen:
    What can i do??? I've had her for a few days.
    Thanks everyone xxx

2. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Hi. When I got kittens, they were 8 weeks old. They were fine with the litter. It wasn't difficult at all to train them.

You first may want to rule out any physical problems. If a cat has a urinary tract infection, they will go to the bathroom other places than the litter. Has your kitten seen a vet? I'm sure there are other physical problems that could lead to not using the litter. When my kitten had a urinary tract infectionm, treatment for her infection was inexpensive.

If it's not a physical problem....

All I did to litter train my cats was to take them to the box, take their paw, and make them scratch at the litter. I made sure at first that the litter was close by to the kitten. I kept my kitten in a room for a day to get adjusted and learn where the litter was.

Also, I heard that if the cat poops outside the box, you can take the poop and put it in the box. The cat can learn then where they should be going to the bathroom.

I'm sure other people here may have more detailed advice. Good luck

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

normally kittens learn how to use the litterbox by their mom...I wonder if you kitten was taken away from its mom too young (did you adopt from a shelter?)

Get a small litterbox with not-so-deep sides so the kitten doesn't have to struggle to get up and over. When I had my last foster family I used an old jellyroll pan so they didn't have a problem. Yeah it was messy - kitty litter everywhere - but better that than the other stuff on the floor.

4. footsie

footsie New Member

Here's a link about how to litter train a kitten.

http://www.healthypet.com/Library/pet_behavior-5.html :eek:

As for going on your bed, you need to get the pee smell out of the blankets so that it doesn't smell like a bathroom to the kitten. A lot of the time normal detergent isn't enough to get the smells that cats can smell but people can't. People here are always talking about a product called Nature's Miracle that is available at pet stores.

5. beautifulthing

Hi, thanks for your advice! I really don't know what to do.
    She was with her mum til she was 10 weeks, plenty of time.
    I have put her in the litter tray, which is tiny and shallow, it is filled with clumping litter, I took her paw and pawed the litter. She hates it and even worse, she eats the litter, why does she think this is food? She wont eat food either. But she seems so happy. She plays and purs all of the time. She follows me everywhere I go.
    Help me pleeease :mrgreen:

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. If your kitty is not eating it needs to see a vet right away. Is your kitty drinking? What are you feeding her? I would go to the vet and have them try and find out why she's not eating, as well as have her checked for a UTI (urinary tract infection). As for the litter, get something else besides clumping litter. Just get regular cat litter. If she's been eating the clumping litter it could cause your kitty a lot of internal problems (perhaps that's why she's not eating?). Please take her to the vet.

7. beautifulthing

Okay I will. I'll go and buy a different litter and i'll take her to the vet.
    She drinks lots. But she wont drink water. I called her breeder and she said to give her milk mixed with water, which she loves and drinks loads of.
    She still hasn't used her litter tray :cry:

8. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

I just wanted to say that I don't know if I'd agree with your breeder. Milk is not good for cats. It upsets their stomachs. I don't think that is a good solution to your cat not drinking.

I noticed you had a couple other posts about a couple other things...

So, I hope going to the vet will help you and you will fix the problems you're having. But, with all the different things going on with your little one, you really need to see a vet soon.

Good luck.

9. beautifulthing

She ate at the vet but she still wont eat here?
    Does anyone have any tips on a food that their own kittens love? I've tried kitten whiskers (England) and Sardines, she wont touch either of them.
    x :wink:

10. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. I'm not sure what kind of pet food you have in England. If you go to your local pet suppy shop take a look at all the different soft and hard foods for kittens. When you read the label make sure the first ingredients are some kind of meat and not meat byproducts. Also check to make sure the food is not loaded with fillers like corn. You can also call your vet and see what she was eating there. As for the sardines, don't they have little bones in them (can cause problems)? Also fish foods can lead to urinary tract problems, so you may just want to stick to chicken (and other meats) based foods. Good luck and let us know what food you found that your kitty likes.

11. nern

nern New Member

Have you tried giving her the same food that she was willing to eat at the vets office?

12. winnie

winnie New Member

i got Bug at 5 weeks and he never had a problem, I just stuck him in there when i got him, and Tristan was 4 or 5 month when i got her and she never had an accident