1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How do I make the concave in nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Birdbrain, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Birdbrain

Birdbrain New Member

Hello all. I want to make removable concaves to fit inside my nest boxes. How are the concaves formed? What tool do I need? I'm guessing some type of drill?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi it can be made using a chisil and sandpaper.

Draw a circle and then chip away to a depth of about 1cm the using tha snadpaper smooth it out or you can goto a timber yard who will usually do it for you for a small charge.

Always make sure that the concave is place at the back part of the nest of its for budgies(parakeets) cockatiels and finches dont need concaves in there nests.

Mike

3. Birdbrain

Birdbrain New Member

Thanks Mike. It is for budgies. I thought it was deeper than that. I'm glad I asked! One other question, if you don't mind. I've been told not to put anything in the box, but in every picture I see there is shavings, etc. under the chicks. Do you wait and add material after the eggs hatch?

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i use plain wood shavings as they are safe i always put about 1-2inches inside the nest when i give it to the birds you will find most of them will throw it back out but keep putting some back in as this helps keep the eggs warm and also keeps the eggs clean when the parents turn the eggs while incubating.

Mike