1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

how do i tell if Max is overweight?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by eman, Mar 2, 2006.

1. eman

eman New Member

he eats half a cup of whiskas dry food everyday. and because of the cold weather, he hasnt been outside much for walks. he does run around the house and play.

he looks a little chubby. but how do i know if he is overweight?
    i think he is 12 pounds now. he is 1 year old. what do i look for?

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

HI eman,
    We used to have chart at the animal hospital I was at, it was great for showing exactly what your cat should look like, I couldnt find it on line but I found this site with some good info on it.

Heres an excerpt. (sp)

"So how can you tell if your cat's too fat? Feel his sides. Can you feel his ribs? A little fat covering is ideal. You should be able to feel his ribs if you put slight pressure on his sides, but you shouldn't be able to count them just by running your hand over his body."

http://www.advancingwomen.com/balancing ... esity.html

Hope that helps.

3. eman

eman New Member

thanks for replying
    i can feel his ribs if i put a little pressure. does that really mean that he is not overweight?
    everyone that comes to my house says that he needs to lose weight. maybe he is just big. not fat..

if i put a recent photo for him standing..would u be able to tell me?

4. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

My cat food bag (Purina ONE) has pics on there that describes/shows an underweight, ideal weight and Copper lol. My vet said Copper should weigh 12#, but he is big. Even without the 6.3# extra gas in his tank! Sabrina weighs 10# but is a smaller framed cat.

5. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

A photo might help, it would depend on the angle you take the pic, if you can get one from standing above him so your looking directly down when hes standing....(sorry that probably doesnt help much), the other things is from what your describing it doesnt sound as though he is overweight, could you take him to your vet and get your vets opinion?

6. footsie

footsie New Member