1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How does one know if a cat scratch is dangerous.

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by puttin510, Jun 27, 2004.

1. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I got a good gouge yesterday. I've heard cat scratches can be rather harmful. How do you know. I cleaned it well ,moving it and squeazing it to draw out any bacteria. I'm only concerned about the punture not the scratches.

2. vene

vene New Member

Puttin510, if you got scratched by your indoor cats and they have been vaccinated, I would not worry about it too much. Neosporin should take care of it. If the gouge is deep you may need stiches by a doctor or else you can get a bad looking scar or form keloids if you have the type of skin I do. I've been gouged by my Rene a couple of times when she was jealous of my 19 month old. I should've gone to the ER to have them suture my gouge. Those scars are permanent.

On the other hand, if you had been scratched or bitten by an outdoor cat or a stray, go to the ER or to a walk-in clinic ASAP. You need antiobiotics. It's a very bad sign if you see red streaks emerging from the wound that you did not scratch yourself. That's sepsis setting in and you would require immediate medical care. People can die if left untreated. Not to scare you, this does not happen often.

Here's some interesting info:
    http://www.astdhpphe.org/infect/catscratch.html[url]

4 yrs ago when we first moved in our house, a long fured black and white moo-cow looking cat came to visit us at our deck. It rubbed and purred and my husband was thrilled so he petted him. Out of the blue he bit my hubby hard on the hand. My hubby thought nothing of it and after a couple of days his entire hand swelled up. I wanted him to go see a doctor but he refused. Anyway, while he was working one day, he almost passed out. They gave him IV fluids with antibiotics immediately. He was fine after that. Don't take any chances. See a doctor when in doubt.

3. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

good info vene. you have so many links...it never ceases to amaze me. what a story about your husband....scarey...

hi puttin510....i see your little doggies in the avatar. are you usually on the dog forum? i wish you luck with the cat scratch. i have only been scratched by my kitten...nothing serious. wish i could be more helpful. good luck to you, though...lynn and max

4. fleafly

fleafly New Member

The main thing to do with any wound is to wash it with soap and water and flush it with water. Squeezing it wont really get the bacteria out, but letting the tap water run over it will. Flushing it with the water from the faucet is the best thing. I would also put some neosporin on it and watch to make sure it doesn't get infected. Since it was a scratch rather than a bite there is less chance of infection, but still keep an eye on it. If it gets swollen, tender, red, or oozes puss you need to go to the dr.

Vene, I am sorry to hear that a moo cat bit your husband. I am glad that he is okay. I love moo cats, all of the ones I have met have been friendly though.

5. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Thanks you all. Auspet has some wonderful posters. Today the redness is down and it seems to be geting better. This cat was not mine. Just a wanderer belonging to who's know who, in the apartment behind me. He was a rather spuncky kitty and I had fun watching him stalk my poodle. He really probably could have scared the you know what out of her.
    I had run it under water washed it with soap, put neosporin on it. All because I am a Emergancy Vet watching freak. I remember a few episodes that have had people needing medical care because of their kitty's. I love just about all animals. I'm not mad at that cat. He was just scared. It was interesting watching a cat stalk a poodle though. My bosses cat is about 25 lbs or so. My sasha nearly got beat up by him becasue she would not let him rub up against her. Poor girl. And this cat practicly cussed out a pit bull puppy. would not allow her in the house. He surey liked sasha though. That was the weeirdest site to see.
    Thank you for your responce. I realize that cat scratches can be lethal so I went to the pro's.

6. vene

vene New Member

It's a relief to hear that you are getting better. :D

7. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Thanks, even though I don't own a cat, I know i can come here and get advise when needed.

8. Rene

Rene New Member

about 2 years ago my indoor cat whiskers some how got out and I didnt know in the middle of the night i heard a cat fight so i got up to look it was whiskers and another cat in my back yard when i opened the door they other cat jumped over the fence and whiskers being an inside cat was not quit sure how to do that so i grabbed him and was bringing him in the house I put my hand in front of his face to so i could move his head and see if he was hurt at all well he attacked me teeth and claws the next day i figured i hadnt had a tetnus shot in awhile so i went to get one. I had to sit at the doctors office for 45 min getting an IV antiboitcs and they made me come back for 3 days and it was my own cat he had all his shots never went outside i would hate to see what they would have done to me if it was a stray. They said because of the bites and the deepness of the scratchs i could have gotten cat scratch fever i didnt beleive them but i still went back everyday for 3 days after i talked to my vet and it is true i guess. Luckly i decided to go in i guess.

OMG as i'm sitting here typing this in shorts butters (new kitten) just climbed up my bare leg :shock: dang he didnt' break any skin thank goodness but ouch that hurt lol

Rene

9. halaroo

halaroo New Member

A friend of mine was bit in the finger my her house cat a few years ago. She cleaned it out and did all the stuff you're supposed to do when you get injured. A couple of days later her finger swelled up to about 4 times its normal size. She went to the hospital, where they had to (sorry this is gross) remove her finger nail and put her on these major antibiotics. She had to go in everyday for this treatment for over a week. They actually thought she might lose her hand!

It turns out that cat saliva has this bacteria in it that is extremely harmful to humans (and other animals). If you get bit you should get treatment right away as a precaution.

I was attacked by Moe a few months after I got her. She bit through my leg muscle in a couple of places and deeply scratched my back and legs. After pouring peroxide over the wounds I went to the doctor's immediately and got a prescription for antibiotics just to be safe. The doctor siad it was good that I came in, because a lot of people don't realize how bad bites can until it's too late.

Anyway - that's my story. :)

10. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

wow...i never knew cat bites could be that bad and ive been around cats for about 40 years...

hmmm...not good. but good information just in case..

11. honeybears

honeybears New Member

cat bites and scratches are way ore serious than do bites. You also have to be careful with cat scratch fever, a lump in your armpit that shows up I a week or 2 after being scratcheds.

Midas bit me last week and I paniced, washed if out real good with soap and water and alcohal, so it is heeling well

honeybear

12. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Good lord, Cat scratch feever is not just a song :oops: I never knew it was a real thing that happened. God you guys have me checking my armpits and everything. The puncture looks good. One of the scratches is red, maybe because I scratched it on accident from it itching from healing. I just happen to have a dr. appointment tomorrow so I will ask them if I have cat scratch feever Da Da da. Do any of you remember that song? You guys are making me nervous. But I do realize they can cause harm. The only thing that really hurts now is my poor thumb that I jammed really hard today at work and have lost some skin, ICK, lord that hurt. But it wiil be ok. Hope my thumb nail does not fall off. Thanks for all the stories.
    Oh yes, I am from the dog forums. Rufus and sasha are my two. Bet you can guess which name goes to which dog too. LOL

13. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

its playing in my head. do do doodoo, do do dooo, do do doodoo......do do dooo...cat scratch feeva...uh uh uhhh...cat scratch feeva...uh uh uhhh... 8)

14. honeybears

honeybears New Member

yea, ted nugent right :D

honeybear

15. BAD_KITTY

BAD_KITTY New Member

Hi but if anyone gets cut or anything by a cat my mom she is a nurse, says to clean it with some aniceptic wash! :) ~Jennifer~

16. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Badkitty: Thank you

Honestly I can't remember who sings it. But I have been singin it latley. LOL

17. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

im thinkin the name "badkitty" would be a great name for a punk rock band. or a song like "bad kitty...check it and see...got a feava of a hundred and three" or however that song goes...do you guys know the one? what is that...cheap trick??? :p

18. vene

vene New Member

No, It's Foreigner's Hot Blooded which reminded me of another song by the Thompson Twins- Doctor, Doctor. Lynn you are filling my head with old songs. I've never heard of the song Cat Scratch fever though. I might have to download it on Morpheus sometime.

This would make a very cute parody of the hot blooded song. :mrgreen:

19. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

how funny vene...i know you have heard of cat scratch fever....i am going to be very surprised if you havent. how did you even know that it was foreigner? that's impressive.

bad kitty check it and see...kitty kitty has a hold over me...ever since youve come into my life...i have had to deal with a whole lot of strife...

uh uh uh, uh uh uh uhhh....uh uh uh, uh uh uh uhhh....(to the tune of cat scratch fee-va) :p [/u]

20. vene

vene New Member

Ha ha ha. I didn't know it was the foreigner. I cheated. I went to nbci, my favorite search engine and found it.

Oh I can't stop laughing. It's hilarious! :mrgreen: