1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How long can a cat be on it's own?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Bente, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Bente

Bente New Member

We are visiting my bf's family this christmas, and usually we ask the people we rent from (who live in the same building) to take care of Kyrre when we are gone. But they are not sure whether or not they'll be home yet, and we have to order our train tickets pretty soon. I'll be gone for four and a half day, and my options are to either take Kyrre to a kennel, or get someone to come by and feed him while we are gone. I prefer to let him stay at home, but I worry it'll be hard to get someone to take care of him since it's christmas (and most of our friends and family doesn't live very close).

Do you think he will be ok for four and a half day if I can get someone to come by two times (day two and four)? He will be indoor only for that period. I know he'll be terribly bored, and I will feel like the worst cat-mom in the world, but at least he will have food, water and a clean toilet in a safe and known enviroment. I think he would get very stressed and scared if I were to take him to a kennel...

What would you do?

2. vene

vene New Member

Bente, I think he'll be fine. We went to Disney Word last year for 1 day and 2 nights and our kitties were just fine. We purchased medium sized automatic food and water dispensers and had plenty of cat litter available. Kyrre would definitely be much happier staying at home than going to a kennel.

We felt really bad so we called home frequently. The kitties were able to listen to our voices on the answering machine. :mrgreen:

3. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Bente. I think if you leave tons of hard food out and lot's of water he will be okay. It would be good if someone could come once a day, but if it's four days every other day should be okay. Just make sure to tell a few people when you are going and coming back. If something happens there at your place, like a fire you need a neighbor to get him out of there. Also should something happen to you, you need someone to rescue him and possibly take him to a shelter. Just try and think worse case scenario here. But, I agree and think he will be fine. He'll just be bored and pretty mad at you! :D

4. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

He will be fine given enough provisions... he will be much happier in his own home. I've left my guys for 3 days with 2 litter boxes, lots of hard food and lots of water I even left the bathroom sink dribbling....
    He will be mad at you but safe.

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I would think he'd be fine but I'd also go with asking someone to check on him at least twice in case he runs out of water and perhaps scoop the litterbox. I know my Dixie will pee/poop on the floor if the boxes aren't scooped every day and on time!
    You wouldn't want to come home to that!
    Just be sure to give him extra treats when you return

6. Ginny

Ginny New Member

I agree, I'm sure he will be fine but I'm sure he'll be really pleased to see you return too! I leave mine for a week per year, with somebody coming in twice a day to feed and fuss them. That's not to say I like leaving them though, I always hate driving off and leaving the house but once I'm away I'm fine. :D

7. Bente

Bente New Member

Thanks for reassuring me everybody, I feel a lot better now! :D

8. Lovemykitties!

Lovemykitties! New Member

Yes, I left my guys home alone for about a week over Christmas and had a friend check in on them once or twice. I was so worried that we left gobs of food down, a ton of water (even left the toilet lids up just in case! haha), and 2 litter pans. I even had my husband set up a Webcam in the living room so we could check in on them! I think the trip was more stressful on me than on them.They were fine and very happy to see us when we got home. :)

9. Bente

Bente New Member

Lol! :lol:

10. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

When we go away, we have a family member or friend come every other day to feed and pet our kitties. They do just fine.

I'm sure Kyrre will be fine too. He'll probably just catch up on sleep.

11. Bente

Bente New Member

Luckily this isn't an issue anymore; the neighbours are staying home, so they'll feed him every day :eek:

12. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Glad to hear that Kyrre will have someone present while your gone. He will be a much happier boy. Now you can relax and know that he will be fine.

13. vene

vene New Member

Bente, that is great news! :eek:

14. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Yeaah!! I'm glad it's not an issue anymore.