1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

how long did it take your pup to catch on to potty training?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by winnie, Apr 14, 2004.

1. winnie

winnie New Member

Ok, how long did it take your pups to get pottytrained, how old were they when you got them and how old when they learned and actually started telling you when they needed to go? thanks

2. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I have had mixed results. When we found our husky (she was 5) she was not fully housebroken or she may have been but she was on the streets for a while. It only took her a few weeks to catch on. My first pom was doing great until we got the second one then they both decided they would potty where ever they were. At 18 months they still have accidents but they will let us know if its time to go out. Most other dogs I have had only took a few months at the most, some caught on quicker than others. These darn poms are driving me nuts!!

3. Jules

Jules New Member

We got our Dobe pup when she was 8 weeks. Altogether I think I have only cleaned up under 10 times for her (1's & 2's). She caught on faster than I thought she would, I only showed her what to do a few times. But I don't think it was me that taught her- I think it was my other dog. Our back door stays open for most of the day so she doesn't really tell me when she needs to go, I'll just have to wait and see what happens when it starts getting too cold to leave the door open. So all up probably a couple of weeks. I think I was lucky! I feel sorry for the people that are toilet training and have carpet in their house- my heart goes out to these people!

4. winnie

winnie New Member

I am toliet training and have carpets, but i am moving to hardwood floors...i know it is easier to clean hardwood floors but doesnt the pee ruin them aswell as the carpets?

5. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

kuma was trained within a week. but because she had a bladder infection shed wee in her sleep :cry: wed always be cleaning the poor little pumpkins bum up.

6. winnie

winnie New Member

Syd is 3 months...thats to young to expect fast learning right? I heard somewhere they dont really learn till they are 4 or 5 months...anyone know if this is true? I keep her on a leash constantly and the minute i let it go without thinking she pees and latley she has been peeing in the hallway to my apartment on the way to the pee spot...maybe i should carry her?....i know its not her fault...ijust hope she learns soon :(

7. nern

nern New Member

Natalie was 7wks old when I got her and seemed to pick up on potty training pretty quickly. She would stand and stare at me until she got my attention and then run towards the back door when she had to go or she would stand at the back door and moan. She was fully house broken by about 4 months of age. Some puppies seem to pick up on it really fast while others take a bit longer but I think it really depends on the individual dog.

8. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

I have heard the puppies dont have control over their functions until around 5-6 months old, not sure how true it is. But potty training for me got much easier when my dogs were around that age.

9. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

Ours depended....Lacey was trained when we got her....Havoc was potty trained at about three months, but Chaos we got at seven weeks, and by nine weeks she was barking at the door to go out. I think she learned so quick by copying the others though!

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

We got Nala when she was about 12-14 weeks old. She had a few accidents, but I generally watched her like a hawk and took her out a LOT. She had good control, because she could stay in her crate for a good 4-5 hours with no messes (even with a bladder infection, poor girl).

I don't recall when she started to ask to be let out. It was more of a wander over to the door and see that it is closed and then start sniffing around the whole room sort of thing. I took her out if she even glanced at the door!

Even though she hadn't had accidents for a long time, I still did not consider her "trained" even at 6 months or more. I had the feeling that while she asked to go out if we were in the room with her (by staring at the door), if we weren't there I don't think she would have had any problems with choosing out a nice corner for a bathroom.

She started putting her front paws on the door right around that time, and I considered that a good sign - if we didn't notice her staring she would eventually put her paws on the door and whine a bit. Awesome!

Now we leave her and Bonnie out while we are at work, and they were alone for a good 7-8 hours on Easter and were perfectly fine. Nala is about 11 months old now.

Jamiya

11. Hi Winnie, I found this site for someone else awhile back, it's wonderful! it has everything! from crate training to potty trianing...Hope you find it useful :D Many dog owners inadvertently teach their dogs to eliminate indoors. Each time they take their dog outside they wait for him to eliminate. As soon as he does, they bring him in. Most dogs, especially young ones, like the sights and smells of the outdoors. So they quickly learn that as soon as they eliminate, they are taken inside. They learn to hold it until they come inside to prolong the experience.

It makes better sense to train your dog to eliminate on command, especially if you must leash walk him. Take your dog to "his spot" each time. As your dog begins to urinate, choose a word and say it over and over as the behavior is occurring (I say the work "Park") Do this each time your dog urinates. After several weeks of hearing "Park... Park... Park" as he urinates, it will eventually act as a trigger of the behavior. I use a different phrase ("Hurry Up") for defecating. Each time your dog finishes, praise him while offering a food reinforcement (a treat). I use dried liver available at most pet stores because I can leave it in my pocket without going bad. When he has eliminated, take him for a walk as a reward! If your dog fails to eliminate in 5 minutes, take him inside and crate him for a half-hour or so and then try again.

The Instructive Reprimand
    Each time you take your dog outside say, "Outside". Soon he will learn what outside means Then, if the dog inappropriately urinates inside in your presence, say "Outside" and take him to "his spot". "Outside" becomes an instructive reprimand because it is instructive (directs the dog to the appropriate elimination place) and it is a reprimand because of the tone of voice you use as the behavior is occurring thus acting as a negative reinforcement.

Good luck! Susan

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I never read that, but I did wonder about it when Nala was younger. Nice to see I wasn't crazy!

Because I was concerned about it, I made sure that after she went potty I did NOT immediately take her inside. They say that for a dog to associate one thing with another, it has to happen immediately after the first thing - that is why you are supposed to treat right when the dog does something good and why the clicker is supposed to help with timing.

So, I figured that even letting her play for 30 seconds after peeing would be plenty of time for her to forget about peeing and not associate it with having to go inside. It seems to have worked out.

Jamiya

13. honeybears

honeybears New Member

You have me confused

"So, I figured that even letting her play for 30 seconds after peeing would be plenty of time for her to forget about peeing and not associate it with having to go inside. It seems to have worked out. "
    I dont get the "not associate it with going inside" I guess because Jake like to be inside

Honeybear

14. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

Sadie got the idea after 2 weeks :eek: but she was also 3 months old when we got her. She had never been inside a house (always in a kennel with her siblings)...so I think she knew she wasn't to go in the house. She "potty trained" really quickly

15. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Nala LOVES to be outside (as long as we are outside with her). I didn't want her to think that I would take her outside and stand there with her and the second she went potty I would wisk her back inside. That would be like punishing her for pottying!

So instead, I would take her outside and stand there with her and encourage her to go. I would praise her when she DID go, and then I would let her continue to sniff around and play. If I was in a hurry, she didn't get more than 30 seconds or so, but if I wasn't in a hurry she could stay out longer.

When it is raining, she wants to come straight back inside, so that's different.

The point is to not "punish" the dog for going potty!

Jamiya

16. winnie

winnie New Member

I noticed with Syd that when i take her out to pee, she actually wants to go back in right away and latly has been doing her bussinesse quicker so she can go in...i think when i move to a house she will like outside better casue winnie can go with her too and they both can play after since there will be no need for a leash

17. Hello Winnie, I just noticed that I didn't give you that site! Sorry! Here it is...it has good info

http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/htgen.htm

Jamiya, you may find it interesting as well

(or whoever wants to look at it)

Susan