1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How many is too many?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by orangepiece, Oct 3, 2004.

1. orangepiece

orangepiece New Member

How many fish are you allowed to have in a 10 gallon tank without being over crowded?

And also how do you check the ph in a tank, how can you change it and make it higher or lower?

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

inch per gallon rule is good

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

inch per gallon rule isnt usually too good of a refrence....lets say you had 10 tetras a an inch each...they dont produce nearly as much waste as a 10" oscar would....i would sayit all depends on the tpye of fish you want orangepiece......what kind are you looknig at?

4. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

Yes, I definitly agree with grnlemonade on that one. It does depend on the kind of fish you are getting. You can buy kits that include ph testers, and chemicals to increase or decrease the ph level in your tank. You can get one for pretty cheap at Walmart in their fish section.

5. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I wasnt thinking of him getting a 10" oscar tho im thinking like some neons and barbs and stuff. My 20g is over the " per gallon thing and it is fine nothing ever dies in it

6. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea, but it mostly depends on the type of fish you have though....i was jsut using an oscar as an example

7. Pekemom

Pekemom New Member

White mountain minnows are great, colorful active fish. I also have a few otocinclus (clean up crew) in my small tank, along with some cories and a beta..everyone gets along great. There's lots of activity and color. I also use black sand for the substrate. Makes a striking look.

8. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

ok, 1" per gallon rule doesnt work well. if u have a 1" oscar u wouldnt put it in a 1g tank. so it really depends on what u want and what u have.

9. orangepiece

orangepiece New Member

Well I was actually thinking of getting some tetras and stuff like that. Because I actually saw these adorable clown fish and thought OMG I want those but the sales person informed me that you cant have a saltwater tank w/ saltwater fish unless your tank is bigger wayyyy bigger. Unfortunately buying a larger tank right now is out of the question considering I just bought this one soooo....Im setting for tetras. Yahh...so basically I'm thinking of getting maybe four or five neons and a few others to color up the tank And I know they all are schooling fish and so its kinda hard just to get two of each which is why my question came up......wow all that crap I just said for nothing...well anyway hmm... no oscars just tetras.. :mrgreen:

10. sushi101

sushi101 New Member

welcome to the hobby! from expirience, 10 gallon tanks are a huge waste of time. good luck with it!

11. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

actually a 10g can be SW

12. Hooben

Hooben New Member

It's just that a ten gallon is tough from the stand point of being easy to overload. Make sure you have a little hang on the back filter from marineland or something. That will keep you water fresh and clear.
    Good luck and welcome!