1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

how much crushed coral to add?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by drab911, Apr 20, 2005.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hey everyone.. I have a 16 gallon tank and the pH wont rise above 5-5.5 So I am going to go out and buy some crushed coral today.. I am going to put in a mesh bag so that it is easy to remove.. but how much do you think I will need to add?? I do not want to replace my substrate with this just add a bit to help balance it out..
    thanks

2. hooterhead

hooterhead New Member

i'm guessing that it's a fw tank since no sw fish could live in that ph... first of all have you tried any chemicals? if so, what? Kent makes some pretty good stuff for ph.but if you want to go the way of crushed coral i don't think you can buy a bag of less thatn 20 lbs.? i don't think it will be a matter of how much you add, but how long you leave it in. keep a close eye on it.

3. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Just wondering what type of fishes are in there and why you want to mess with the ph. Usually a low ph is a sign of high acidity, a condition I am not used to or familiar with since my water is highly alcaline. Just curious where it is that you are getting this water from. I have to agree with hooter head on the chemicals. Many products out there will help regulate the water very well. Beware of a fluctuating ph, which can actually do more harm than good.

4. drab911

drab911 New Member

yes it is a freshwater tank... Im not sure what is happening to the water it comes out of the tap at 6.5. my substrate is florite i only have one lava rock ordament and about 8 plants with yeast activated CO2, however my PH was low before I added the CO2.
    I have not tried any chemicals becuase everywhere I read it says that htey are bad and you will get a PH rollercoaster.. but if there are some products that work OK i would rather use them i just thought the coral was kinda foolproof or something..
    if possible I would like to just keep it the way it is.. I have one gourami, 2 otocats and a couple snails right now.. just hopeing to get 2 zebra danios and maybe a couple frogs once this is all sorted out...
    so anyone have any advice?? thanks..
    and when I tested the tap water it was also after I added the de-chlorinizer but it was still 6.5.

5. hooterhead

hooterhead New Member

if you are going for a ph of 7.0 i would give Seachem neutral regulator. it either raises or lowers ph to 7.0. i got a 8.8 oz (500-1000 gal) bottle for $11.