1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How much does a visit to the vet cost?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by TobysMom, May 12, 2004.

1. TobysMom

TobysMom New Member

I have a four week old kitten and i am planing his first visit to the vet but i am wondering if any of you can give me a round about price on the costs to a vet. I am also wondering how much it would cost for his forst shots ect.

If any of you can help me with answering these questions that would be great.

Thanks

Concerened Mommy

2. dolly

dolly New Member

Hi,

Congratulations on your new addition! It depends on where you live, but in Canada I pay about $50 for a vet visit/exam, plus the cost of the shots. I would think they would be around $25-$40, so I would expect to pay the order of $75-$100 for the visit.

3. deb2950

deb2950 New Member

kitten care

I just had Raymond in last week to start on his vaccinations and wellness care. I purchased the kitten vaccination package which includes all of his shots up to and including his rabies, and three fecal analysis plus his well ness exams. I paid $310 for the package. I will have him neutered and micro-chipped when he turns 6 months at the Anti-Cruelty which charges $15.00 for cats for both procedures. I hope this was helpful to you.

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I'm not trying to be rude here or anything. But this is a good example,

Always do research before getting ANY animals. You should have known this to begin with. This is how animals end up hurt or sick, and the owners won't take them to the vet, because the bill is to high. If you cna't provide for it. Don't get it!!

They should always be treated as your children or family member.

A good rule of thumb is for every cat or dog, you should have at least $1000 saved up. For emergancies.

5. footsie

footsie New Member

My vet charges $20 for an exam and then all the shots, meds and tests are added to it. I believe my first real visit with my kitten where he got his first set of shots, worming and flea treatment was around $95.

**edit** I forgot to mention that I go to a vet the calls themselves a low cost clinic, so I don't know if what I have paid is repersentative of the average.

6. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

a 4-week old kitten is much too young for any shots. A checkup shouldn't cost much

7. Luvmykitties

Luvmykitties New Member

The vet we go to charges about $45 for just a check up.

I dont think that the OP was saying that she couldnt afford it or wouldnt take care of her new kitty. I think she was just asking how much it might cost out of curiosity and to know what to expect. :wink:

8. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

OH I agree, the comment wasn't aimed directly at her/him.

Just there are so many people. who rush out grab the cutest pet they find. then bring it home and WHAM! They can't afford it, and the only thing that suffers is the animal.

See what I'm saying.

I'm glad the kitty has a good home. I'm sure they can afford it.
    Usually a first exam on a pet is quite cheap. Thogh 4 weeks is way to young to be away from momma, but I don't know the circumstances of it either.

9. nern

nern New Member

Rhiannons first vet visit was around $72. This included the office visit fee of $25.00, her first set of shots, feline leukemia/feline aids test, dewormer and a tube of advantage.

10. Luvmykitties

Luvmykitties New Member

I see what you're saying Samsintentions. I guess I took it the wrong way.

11. TobysMom

TobysMom New Member

Thanks for all the help

:D I feel like i started something lol j/k i take all the help i can get and i would like to thank you ALL for your support and help. This web site is such a great place to go. To inform everyone i am a new pet owner i saved my kitty and i only ask all these questions because i am learning. To be honest i never thought i would ever get a cat let alone like one but i have fallen in love with this little guy lol. He is very active but yet sleeps alot he wakes up very hyper and it so much fun to play with him and its funny to watch aswell lol. I am planing on making an appointment for the little guy next week im trying to find a good vet that is close by but so far no luck. I do have another question though is ok for me to mixing his KMR formula with iams wet food? Well anywase i just want to say thanks to all of you for all the support.

Tobys mom :)