1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

how much fish oil

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by kyles101, Jan 31, 2005.

1. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

how much fish oil would i use for kuma? does anyone have any idea how many mg/kg it is for dogs? any ideas on what it is for cats too?

2. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

I give Duke (80 pounds) one teaspoon a day and Freckles (60 pounds) a bit less. Sorry, don't know the metric equivalent.

3. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hi all,

I have been buying the capsules of Omega 3 oily stuff, as I was told it improves the coat etc.
    Well, I am wondering what kind of fish oil you are giving and for what. Cause the capsules are a bit pricey and a cheaper alternative would be preferred.

Please let me know,

Thanks!

4. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

you can get bottles of fish oil abbeys mom. just make sure its body fish oil tho, not cod liver etc. i think it works out to be cheaper? i just cant find any set dosages for it tho. what dukesdad said sounds about right tho.

5. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

When supplementing Omega 3, you have to keep in mind that it has to be balanced with Omega 6 if you want to get good results.

The traditional balance of Omega 6 to Omega 3 is in a range of 5/1 to 10/1. However, a recent study at the University of Minnesota suggests a range of 2/1 to 4/1 may be more correct. In either case, there's some lee way to work with.

It's difficult to suggest how much to supplement because so much depends on the condition of the dog, and how much Omega 6 and Omega 3 may already be in the dogs diet. Sometimes it's a matter of trial and error. Start low and work up until you find the amount that works for your individual dog. But do keep them in balance.

6. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I give one gelcap per day each to the dogs (40-50 pounds). I think the gelcaps contain about 1000mg of fish oil. There was another post about fish oil with some links, so let me try to find it...

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member