1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How much is too much for a floor to hold?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Blau_the_cow, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

I live in a 1 floor home (rancher, no basement) and in my room, I have a 20 gallon, and a 33 gallon.. so like 53 gallons of water. I didnt even consider the weight on the floor until now, when I am seriously considering purchasing a 55 gallon.

If I did buy it, it would be put in my room with the 33, and the 20 would be taken out (because there would be no space at all then). Would 88 gallons of water be too much for a 10" by 10" room to hold? I don't think so, cause I know some people have like 300 gallon tanks, but I am just checking..

2. Hooben

Hooben New Member

If you have no basement, then there should be nothing to worry about.
    Enjoy your tanks.

3. Trickster

Trickster New Member

soon ill be adding a 29g to my room, removing 1 of the 10gs, making a grand total of 59gs. My house is 3 story, tanks on top floor, tanks in 3 complete diffrent areas so weight is spread out.

So yea, floors can hold alot of weight, 55g in 1 spot should be the limit thou. So good luck with your 55g... wut u plan on putting in it?

But on a ground floor, where the whole foundations supports it, u can go crazy with the tank size.

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i agree with hooben....if there is no basement of floor beneath you, then you are fine.

5. sakura.seppun

sakura.seppun New Member

you shouldn't have any trouble in the weight department. My only concern is the fact that a completely flat floor is very rare, so you may get some pressure cracks, especially in a larger tank. It seems to be working well for you so far though.

Good luck. ^.^

6. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasn't really concerned, but I thought I'd check, just to make sure. As for what I'm putting in it, well, nothing out of the ordinary....an Oscar. Ive always wanted one, and this being the first suitable tank, thats what Im getting.

Im sure I'll have many many more questions once its set up...

7. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi Blau_the_cow, Try going to Auspets Home page and click on the link Fish and Aquariums in the first section. From this page click on Conversions and Calculations. Scroll down on the Conversions and Calculations page and you will find formulas for calculating the weight of the tank per square foot and what building standard support strength is.

8. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Unless you have an older home with rotten floor boards, or termites, you shouldn't have a problem. Most floors in most homes will easily hold a water bed. Even a king sized water bed. And they have a lot of weight.

Even single story homes with no basement usually have a crawl space. If you have any doubts about the condition of the support you have, get a contractor to check out your foundation.

9. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i agree no basement no worries keep those tanks a coming