1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How much substrate in tank?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Houseman, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Houseman

Houseman New Member

Can someone tell me how much sand/gravel I need in the bottom of my tank? I have heard anywhere from !/2 inch to 1 inch per 10gallons of water? Also, is sand or gravel better? Thanx :)

2. jason oscarkeeper

jason oscarkeeper New Member

substrates are varied in

this all depends on the species of fish as to the best type of substrate as behaviours differ so greatly, i had sand for a while but my catfish stirred it up so much most of it ended up in my filter so i changed to rea small gravel. you need to ensure that whatever you use that it is moved around regularly by your fish or by yourself when cleaning otherwise you will get stagnant/ dead areas within it

this is my opinion only and im sure others will correct me if i am wrong

Jason

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

what i have heard before and practice myself is one pound of gravel per gallon.....so 55 gallon would need 55 pounds of gravel.....the meaning is lsot with tall tanks though