1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

how often do anal glands need to be expressed?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Kristine, Jul 21, 2004.

1. Kristine

Kristine New Member

Oscars anal glands were expressed in mid May. I asked the vet how bad they were and she said medium bad-although Im not sure what that means.

Today after pooping he scooted. This is the first time I have seen him scoot. Do you think its adviseable to take him to the vet for his anal glands to be checked after seeing him scoot one time? I worry as there were no signs that they needed to be expressed the last time, I just asked the vet to check them as I heard that small dogs sometimes have problems with anal glands.

In general how often do glands need to be expressed?

Thanks for your help.

2. karma

karma New Member

There's really no "in general" amount of time to express glands. Some dogs never need to have theirs expressed. I'm not sure what the other extreme might be- maybe two weeks- three? If your dog has had them expressed before and it's been a couple of months, and you've seen him scoot, it wouldn't hurt to take him to the vet. At least you'd know, and this may give you some kind of idea of how fast, if at all, his sacs are filling up.

You might try adding a little pumpkin (canned) into his diet. Many vets favor this type of roughage; it can help him to eliminate the fluid naturally when he poops.

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I completely agree with Karma...great info! :y_the_best: Just to be on the safe side, I would take Oscar in to your vet to have his glands checked checked. It's better to go in and find out that they don't need to be expressed just yet, than to find out that they are infected and inflamed because you waited too long!

:D

4. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Wow, Karma... that is interesting about the canned pumpkin!! PLUS I bet it tastes good for the dog!

5. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Yeah karma that is pretty cool, I will have to try this.