1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

how old do rats get??

Discussion in 'All other pets' started by nick_no_11, Jun 1, 2005.

1. nick_no_11

nick_no_11 New Member

my sis got a pet rat(his name is the brain) it is like a year old and we wer wondering how old it will get. if it helps he is a hairless rat. any answer will be apreciated.

2. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

A lot of that depends on genetics and living conditions, what bedding you use, how clean they are kept, stress factors, diet, disease, etc. The average pet store rat will usually live anywhere from one and half to 3 years at most. Usually rats bought from a reputable breeder are healthier, more social and have better genetics behind them, therefore a shot at possibly making it up to 4 years or even 5 years in some rare cases. I have heard that hairless do not tend to live as long as furred rats, however, but i would expect to get at another good year out of your little one. I strongly suggest that you join a rat specific message board such as ratsrule.com for any questions on care that will pop up. I also suggest that you do some more research on rat care and things such as proper diet and safe housing, bedding, etc. Not all food and beddings are made equal and some will even CAUSE health problems or irritate existing ones. I also want to suggest that you get your little one a furred buddy rat baby(same sex of course) to keep him warm as hairless do tend to have more trouble regulating their body temp and it is also better for them to live in pairs or more as they are very social animals. Good luck with your little one! Ratties are the best! :y_the_best: