1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How old is my bird now ?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Zeppy`s mom, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

My bird is now starting to molt the little feathers on top of her head.I can tell because the only black feathers she has is on top of her head.

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Birds usually start to molt at 6months old, some earlier some later, It depends on the time of year they hatched,

A winter clutch would molt later which is usually around 7-8months old

Summer clutch will molt between 4-6months old

Your bird could be 6months or a little older.
    I had one budgie that had the black barring on his head until he was 12months old then i got up one morning and the barring had gone, I know he was 12months as i bred him.

Mike

3. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

my bird has been molting since the day igot her .

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

If your bird has been moulting since you first got him then chances are he was between 4-6months of age already, If bought from a breeder he will have a band on his leg stating the month and year he was born....

I would say fromyour pic he is about 9months old

5. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

I bought my bird at petsmart.

6. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Petsmart should have all the details there then, how long have you had your bird????? They should of given you all the details, or you should of asked for all the details before buying the bird, its always a good idea to have all there details so that when they need vet treatment, you know everything about them IMO

Maybe take her to an avian vet to have the bird aged, they may be able to help you.