1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How quickly can I get my dog spayed after having puppies??

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Cleo & Cassie, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Cleo & Cassie

Cleo & Cassie New Member

:?: Hello all, I am new to this, so please help me with my ignorence. I have a three year old Pug that had a litter of puppies five weeks ago. Her breeding was completely accidental, I am not a breeder and had no intentions of her ever having puppies. Now the damage is done and the puppies are here. So...Here are my questions. How soon after having pups can she go into heat again? How soon after delivery can I get her spayed? I am keeping one of the puppies (beagle-Pug). How old does she have to be before I can get her spayed? I certainly do not want anymore puppies, I am having a hard enough time finding good homes for these, and there are so many dogs uncared for. I certainly do not want to add to the problem. Thanks for your help, I will be anxiously awaiting a reply.

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

They can come into heat as early as 6-8 weeks after whelping. You can safely spay her after the puppies are weaned from nursing.

Your puppy can be spayed as early as 3 months. Most vets wait until 6 months if their really small dogs.

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Your vet will probably tell you to wait 12 weeks after whelping as this is the safest time as her mammary glands will have gone back to normal aswell as her hormones.

Each vet is different so you better of asking your vet on there opinion.

Small breed dogs usually come into heat every 4-6months, So she should not come back into heat for another 2-3months.

My vet will not spay or neuter under 6months of age, again each vet is different.

I suggest you talk to your vet and do whats best for your dogs.

Mike

4. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

Wow - how nice to see a post from a responsible dog owner!

I know the litter was unplanned - but I really appreciate knowing how concerned you are about homing the puppies and preventing another unplanned litter in the future.

I agree - check with your vet regarding the right time to spay. Also, you may want to call around and check with other vets since there may be some difference of opinion as to what the best time is to spay.

I can't tell you enough how good it is to know that you have taken full responsibility for the litter and making plans to prevent any more unplanned litters!!

Best of luck to you!!

5. Cleo & Cassie

Cleo & Cassie New Member

Thank you all so much

:!: Wow! This is again my first time here and I am so impressed. You all have been great, and prompt in answering my questions. I am so glad I found you. I am sure to have plenty of questions in the future and I have found the right place. Thanks again and God Bless!!!

6. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

You'll like it here!

There are some very helpful and very knowledgeable "regulars" around here! Oh, and there is always plenty of fun going on around here!

Glad to meet you!!

7. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Hmmm I was doing some research and spoke with my vet yesterday morning and just happened to bring your situation up. She reccomends waiting at least until 10-12 weeks after the litter was born. didn't think that spaying her would hinder the mamararies from shrinking up.

Also if their begal/pug puppies, their really small dogs, so she highly reccommended waiting until their at least 4-6 months before spaying.

8. Cleo & Cassie

Cleo & Cassie New Member

Thank you for bringing us up with your vet. I made the Mama dog's (Cleo) appointment yesterday. My dogs vet is hard to get in contact with. I live in a decent sized town, with only a few vet offices, and we are in the middle of farm country, so they get overwhelmed sometimes. Your answers have been helpful.