1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How should I handle this situation?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by elizavixen, Sep 30, 2004.

1. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Ok. So you all probably know by now that Indiana has allergy issues. Not sure if it is related to food but I still only give him Calif Natural only and no other type of food (except the calif natural treats).

My neighbor has made friends with indiana and always goes up to the fence and pets Indy, etc. I don't mind it at all, I think it is good for Indy. Well today I heard the guy screaming oww! oww! and I looked out my door to see the man feeding, or trying to feed Indy something and Indy of course snaps and I think Indy bit him (why he was yelling).

Anyways, I don't want him feeding Indy stuff b/c of his allergies, and also b/c I don't know what he's giving him. (I'm sure it is nothing bad but who knows - this guy was giving part of it to his dog). I also would prefer him not to feed him stuff b/c Indiana is a snapper (I tried to work with him on it but he just doesn't get it) and I don't want to get sued b/c the guy is trying to feed him and Indy bites him.

So....how should I handle this? I have never really spoken to the man although he seems nice enough. And like I said in my other post, i'm not good at talking to people. Could this be handled in a letter or should I speak to him personally? And what would I say without sounding rude?

I figured that I would add that it may not be a problem anymore just b/c I heard the guy saying to indy that he doesn't trust him anymore so he may not give him any more food after this incident.

2. Rene

Rene New Member

elizavixen i would just tell him excatly what you posted here ask him to please not feed him because he has allergies and he is a snapper you can make a joke like woulndt want you to get bit or anything something like that i'm not a very good speaker either i dont like to approch people at all but if he could hurt indy (not on purpose of course) i would say something to him in a nice way.

just my advice

Rene

3. karma

karma New Member

What about putting a nicely-made sign on the fence, something like, "Please don't give me treats as I have many serious food allergies. Thanks!" That way, hopefully the guy will feel less like it's some kind of criticism directed at him.

If you don't like that idea, I'd approach him and say, "Hey, I noticed Indy snapping at you the other day. Sorry about that!- We're working on it, but he's not trained to take treats yet. Also, he has lots of food allergies, so it's probably not a good idea to give him any." If you can say it in a friendly way, a reasonable person would understand and not take offense. He is, after all, your dog, and you have to look out for his health.

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I like what Karma said, I am horrible when I say something it alwasy comes out the wrong way, so I think what she said is good , that you dog is on a special diet, she would just luv treats but its not possible.

I hear ya ont eh snapping, Jakedoes the same think, he is a chow hound and you give him something he tries to take your whole hand off

How is the California natural working for you? I had to take Jake off it, it only has 3 ingred but I thinkits a nut allergy, If I remember is either has flaxseed or sunflower

honeybear

5. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

honeybears - He is doing well on it now. It has the sunflower oil. He is also on the Nzymes treats and salmon oil.

About the neighbor situation, I thought it was kind of funny when I told my mom and she said "Well..I think Indy took care of the situation for you. I don't think he would be feeding him again." I am going to try to catch him when he comes home and comes out and talks to Indy. I am just really afraid of burning bridges with him b/c I know my dogs border on the annoying side (samantha likes to bark at the neighbors and Indy likes to jump on the fence, etc) I really don't want any sort of trouble.

6. lil96

lil96 New Member

When I had my first dog and when I very first had her, my house didn't have screens. She also had a very sensitive stomach. When it was hot, we would open up the windows. Well my dog knew how to get out of the windows and our next door neighbor was a Wendy's there was a huge 10' fence so we couldn'T actually see it. But I would notice Sentry wasn't inside and I would go over and see her doing tricks at the drive thru window. People would feed through their car windows and it honestly did look really cute, she would do whatever they asked and they would throw a hamburger or whatever to her. But it was really irratitng to me! So finally one day I asked them to please stop feeding her and I explained she would always get sick. They said ok, but because I lived in a college town, and this was fast food, the wendy's had a very high turn over rate. So I had to write a letter, which they later posted inside the restaurant.
    I think talking to him would be best.

7. Angie

Angie New Member

I agree with this post.
    I would probably say something along those lines.

8. rudysjoy

rudysjoy New Member

You may want to approach the neighbor by introducing yourself first. ("Hi, we're neighbors and we've never met. I see you have a dog too." Then, make some nice comment about his dog. After that you could say exactly what Karma said..... that was perfect!!!! It is always best to address problems in person (if you can keep it friendly). You never know - you may just make a good friend by doing it that way. Good luck!!!

9. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member