1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How to do a 25% water changer on a 55 gal Aquarium

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by hop0626, Jul 23, 2004.

1. hop0626

hop0626 New Member

How do I do A 25% water change for a 55 gal Aquarium what are the steps

2. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

I am not quite sure.. but I am suggesting using gravel cleaners.. even though its time-consuming.

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

I usaly set aside the water im going to use ahead of time, add de-chlorinator and let it sit to get the water to room temp. Get a gravel vaccum and suck all the gunk off the bottom until you remove the amount of water you want to then replace it with the new water.

4. hop0626

hop0626 New Member

How long do I let the water sit after I add the de-chlorinator

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually, dechlorinator works almost instantly so you really don't have to let it sit unless it's for the temperature.

When I refill my tanks, I use a garden hose attached to my kitchen faucet. That way I can adjust the temp and get it pretty close to the tank temp. I don't have any chlorine in my water, but I know several people who fill their tanks the same way I do and they just add the dechlorinator as the tank is filling. They never had any problems.

-Chelle

6. Obelix

Obelix New Member

chelle is right, chemical de-chlorinators work just about instantly but I usaly prefer to let the water sit to reach room temp. The water around here is very very heavily treated with chlorimine so it takes a little prep work before water changes with my tanks thank god de-chlorintor is cheap.

7. caj1968

caj1968 New Member

Do you have well water or are you hooked up to your local city water? You probably do not need to use declorinator if you have well water. Is your tank near (3ft or less)a window with window shades. It makes emptying your tank with a gravel vacuum alot easier.
    caj1968