1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How to kitty proof the screens?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Nano, May 21, 2006.

1. Nano

Nano New Member

Spring is here, and summer is not to far behind. The weather is getting warmer,and time to start opening up the sliding screen doors. Does any one have any advice on how to kitty proof the screens inside and out to keep our furry babies from clawing holes in the screens? we have four cats inside, and we have three barn cats that love to come up and see what is going on inside as well. I am trying to break them of the habit of stretching and clawing on the screens. Any body have any ideas on how to protect the screens? Thanks!

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

home depot does sell cat-proof screen material. Well not cat proof but it won't tear from claws. I've never bought it and I understand it can be pricey but if you have to replace/repair your screens every year it might be worth the extra cost

3. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Mary, that's interesting to know.

I tend to keep the windows closed except in the room I'm in. Even then I'm never quick enough to stop the cat from climbing the screen.

We have very torn up screens in my house so I have no suggestions.

But, I think you have a very good question!

4. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I don't have a good answer for this. So far this year I have only opened the windows a little to my kitties can't grab hold of the screens easily.

My one daughter who lives out west had a window open last week and her kitty started to climb the screen and the screen tipped outward out of the window. Luckily it was on the first floor and also she said her kitty jumped back inside and didn't fall out. I worry that a screen may fall out with one of my kitties on it. I guess I just won't open them very wide.

5. eman

eman New Member

you could try clipping their nails. Max never tried to climb screens but Mini did once and i hadnt clipped her nails for a while..so they were sharp. so i clipped her nails and she couldnt climb on them. she tried a few times then she gave up.

6. Whispered

Whispered New Member

I finally found a great solution! Its plastic like chicken wire, the kind people use for veggie gardens and can be found at Wal Mart.

I used clear pintacks, and tacked it over the regular screens, worked great and it couldn't hurt my cats, bc it was plastic.

7. Ia_Cat_Lover

Ia_Cat_Lover New Member

I buy those pre-made screen windows at home discount centers that have wood frames and come in various heights and slide open to various widths. They pop into open windows in front of the regular screen, so if the cat scratches, it will scratch these. They work great and are not expensive at all.

8. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

some good suggestions here...

9. iluvmykittys

iluvmykittys New Member

My brother in law owns a glass and mirror company, and he fixes screens as well. He sells a screen called "Pet Screen". Its heavy duty...but it works. My 3 kitties all have claws and they claw it and its still 100% perfect. Not one nick, pull or anything.
    Maybe if Home Depot doesn't sell it, look for a local glass & mirror company and ask them if they fix screens and ask about "Pet Screen".
    Good Luck!! :)

10. EternalFlame

EternalFlame New Member

oooooo he should get the owner of this screen to approach vets to get it promoted in their clinics! it sounds great!