1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How To Stop A Puppy From Running Out?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by mdman126, Apr 18, 2004.

1. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

hi, my 5 months old pom puppy keeps running out of the front door as soon as we open it. if i dont take him out he will jump and bark at me so bad. he has been able to run out a couple of times and i was able to run after him and bring him back.
    do any of you know how i can train him not to run out the front door?
    thanks a lot: gil

2. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Teaching them what no means helps alot .Take him to classes ,they have them at petsmarts ad other places ,he needs it .

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Mdman~

I believed you mentioned that you were going to attend obedience/training classes, so that is definitely a good start. :y_the_best:

One method you can use would be the following:

Stand a few feet in front of the door with him. (It helps if your dog knows both the "sit" and "stay" command!) Tell your dog to "sit" and then "stay." Then take a single step toward the door. If he gets up, IMMEDIATELY correct him by saying, "NO" and place him right back in the same spot. Repeat the previous step, and if he fails, immediately correct him again. But, if he stays when you take that one step toward the door, give him TONS of prasie and tell him what a good boy he is (a little treat is also a nice bonus along with the praise).

Keep practicing that until he is successful at staying when you just take one step toward the door. Once he has that down pat, try taking two steps toward the door. Once he is successful at staying with just two steps toward the door, then take three steps toward the door. Once he is successful at that, take three steps toward the door and put your hand on the handle like you are about to open the door. Once he is successful at that, take the steps toward the door, put your hand on the doorknob, and turn it/push it as if you are about to open the door. Once he is successful at that, take the steps toward the door and open it just a crack. Once he is successful at that, do the same steps and open the door a little more. Keep increasing the amount you open the door until you are successfully able to open the door all the way without him escaping. (It is a good idea to leash him when you get to the point where you are opening up the door enough to where he may be able to run out...that way you can grab the leash right away and pull him back to correct him.)

There are several keys to this:

~Patience and persistence

~Practice it for a few minutes several times a day

~LOTS & LOTS of verbal praise (along with a small treat) when he is successful

~Immediate correction when he breaks the stay

~And don't go too fast with the training, it is extremely important that you don't go a step further in the training until he is consistently successful at each stage/level in the training!!!

I hope all that made sense to you!

Good luck and let us know how he progresses! :D

4. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

EXCELLENTTTTTTTTT advice, mybabyshih! :y_the_best:

5. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

It is good advice indeed .Mine would have been longer but I was called away quickly by a friend in need and could not finish .DId not mean to sound rude .My baby shih says it right .

6. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

hi

thanks mybabyshihpoo, i have been doing the things you said for 2 days now and i see a little difference now, but i think it is going to take a while for him to learn.
    i'll let you all know how he is doing. thanks: gil

7. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

mdman~

Glad I was able to help you out! It is great to hear that your pup is making some progress...every little bit counts! It usually takes most dogs a little while before they really get the WHOLE thing down pat, but just continue to be patient with him and keep practicing, for it is sure to come.

Remember, LOTS of praise (along with a little treat) when he is successful, immediate correction when he breaks the stay, and don't move on with the training until he is consistently successful at the current "level" you are working on!

Wishing you the best of luck! :y_the_best:

Can't wait to hear about his success!!! :D

8. Rene

Rene New Member

I'm going to have to take that advice also my Sebastain (yorkie) does the same darn thing as soon as i get my purse he starts in barking like crazy he even jumps up and nips he got my elbow the other day i think he has springs for legs. Even if i put socks on he thinks that i'm leaving and it drive me crazy. When i open the door i tell him to stay but once in awhile my sons friends will come over and out he runs they chase him (I think he likes that) but i'm affarid he is going to get hit by a car. so i'm going to try your advice also

thanks

9. mdman126

mdman126 New Member

hi

yes for sure i will keep you posted. i am teaching him every day and he is doing better now. talk to you soon: gil

10. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Rene~

Your concern about your pup being hit by a car as a result of him running outside is a VERY valid concern since such tragedies happen all too often unfortunately, and therefore why I feel as though it is extremely important to teach every dog the "rules" when it comes to an open door!

I wish you the best of luck in your training, and you'll also have to let us know how he progresses!!! :D

Mdman~

:eek: WONDERFUL!!! :eek:

Wishing you the best! :D