1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

How to teach a pup its name

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by PooGirl13, Jun 22, 2004.

1. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

I'm wondering if anyone has any tricks/ideas on how to do this. My husband and I always call Molly & Emma by their names but I wonder how to teach them "their" own name. There are times when I'll call Emma's name and she'll come running.. but I want to be sure that they which one they are! :0017:

I read somewhere that if you have the pup in front of you and say their name while shaking some treats in a cup will help them learn too..

What did you do?

:D

2. nern

nern New Member

Even my cats seem to know their names. Whenever I give each pet individual attention I always say their name over and over while petting them, brushing them, ect. I really think this is how most of mine learned their names.

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Excellent advice!!! :y_the_best:

I have one more tip you may want to try along with the above advice. Have Molly or Emma, whichever you are working with, sit down on your lap, or you can sit on the floor with her in front of you. In your hand have a several *small* and really tasty treats in your hand. Say her name, and if she looks at you, IMMEDIATELY reward her with one small treat and lots of positive verbal praise (using her name while praising). Do that about 10-15 times, then end the session. Have these short little session several times throughout the day. And before you know it, they will quickly learn what exactly their name is! (Fortunately though, most dogs pick up on their names rather quickly, I know Mickey & Tigger did!)

Good luck! :D

4. PooGirl13

PooGirl13 New Member

Thanks Nern & MyBaby!!!!! I will put that advise to good use as soon as I get home tonight! :D