1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

how to tell if a cats has been neutered?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by honeybears, Feb 14, 2007.

1. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Ok, so in may Shasta, a stray cat adopted us. I couldnt even tell if he was a boy or girl at the time. I took him in and the vet said it felt like he had been neutuered and was probably about 6 months old. Well now has very obvious testicles and my stepdaughter who was in town recently (she used to work at a vet) said he was intact.

So I took him in today and the vet cant feel anything, so even though he has large testicles it sounds like there isnt anything in them. he said it could be a rare case of I want to say impacted which means then major surgery to get him neutered since they would have to cut open his tummy. And it also sounds like they wouldnt know whether he was or not unless they did this surgery

looking for advice input if anyone has heard of this.

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I thought a good feel was the only way to tell on males whose sacs have been left behind. Zeus looks unneutered and when I questioned the vet about it when he was neutered (I'm used to them removing everything) he said eventually his body would absorb the sacs. Well Zeus will be 5 in June and he still looks like an intact male. But I was told they are empty. I'm not going to give Zeus a squeeze to find out how they would feel cause I'm sure I'd be leaving my nose in his paws (and rightfully so) but I thought also it was by feel and you'd know cause there is nothing in there.

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Me either! The vet did say he cant feel a thing. A shame I thinkhe may have beena neighbors kitten at the time and moved and left him. But our gain! He is such a sweetheart

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

We thought Ghost was unneutered when he moved in with us (was a stray that wouldn't leave), but our vet took a feel and said he was neutered. He just still has the sacks there so it only looks like he's not.

-Chelle

5. eman

eman New Member

so..what is the difference? why do some vets remove the sacs and other vets leave them?

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

From what I understand now, that was probably the old procedures. what they do now according to my vet is they make like a 1/4 inch incision and pull the tube out. it takes less then 2 minutes, no stitches

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually, come to think of it, when Romeo was neutered, I think the vet left his sacks, but he's so fuzzy, you can't tell.

-Chelle

8. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Jay still has his lol, sacks that is...I was going to take a picc but on second thoughts Naaa Pass. :lol: :lol: