1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Hugs for Bailey!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by MonsterBailey, Sep 20, 2004.

1. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Hi guys!! I just thought I'd look for some extra prayers on this board also (been posting on the toy dog section). My Baby, Bailey, is in the doggy hospital!! :(

He has been throwing up since Wednesday night... I took him to the vet on Friday and they kept him all day. They did x-rays, blood tests, and put him on an IV for fluids all day (not to mention, anti-nauseating meds and antibiotics). Aside from the vomiting, he was acting PERFECTLY normally - happy as could be. Xrays were good... blood test was "interesting".... seems his bilirubin levels were slightly elevated. The vet was hoping he just got into something he's not suppose to and now is fighting it out of his system. Since he's acting fine (other than throwing up!!), he was able to go home with me on Friday night. HOWEVER, he continued to vomit all night and morning, so we then rushed him to the pet hospital (about an hour away). They were running more tests, give more meds (intravenously), and possibly do a barium scan-thingie (or an ultrasound). She said they wanted to keep him for at least 24 hrs, possibly through the weekend.

Well they ran a second blood test - which came back that his lipase (?) levels were just an tiny bit elevated... which could possibly mean pancreatitis, but not really high enough to be sure. SOOOOOOO we're back to treating him symptomatically -- iv's, antibiotics, anti-naus, etc....

He stayed overnight last night (I think it was probably worse for me than him!! :cry:)... and I woke up in the middle of the night and remembered something!!! I gave him a pig's ear chewy (he gets them rarely) the other night and I remember that he ate it REALLLLLYYYY fast!!! So maybe there is a portion of that stuck!?!? I called the hospital and told them what I remembered and she said she's telling the vet and for me to call in a couple of hours. (He's certainly never getting another one of those again!!)

Anyhow, please say some prayers... I know deep down in my heart that he's going to be fine.... but in the meantime, I'm worried to pieces! :cry:

2. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Awwwww Poor Bailey and Bailey's Mom. You both will be in my thoughts and prayers and tonight I will have my sunday school class children say an extra special prayer just fot you and Bailey! Im going to print his picture out so they can see who they are praying for.

3. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

Poor MonsterBailey!!! I'm sure he'll be okay! I'll be thinking of him with love and prayers!!

4. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Thanks, Pam!! :)
    oh Gina, you're so incredibly sweet! Bailey just loves you! I think someone was listening to your and the kids' prayers today, cuz I have some small (but good) news:

The doctor called around 1:00 and said that they were able to feed Bailey something and so far he's kept it down.... (altho at that time it had been about 30 minutes). They are going to feed him again around 4:00 and for me to call around 7:00pm. It's a possibility he might come home tonite if all goes well... but she did mention she may want to keep him overnite, just to be sure. Either way, I'm thrilled he ate something! My poor baby. They said he had quite an appetite (well duh!!! the guy hasn't eaten since Tuesday!!), which is a healthy indication.

I talked to her about the pig's ear "theory"... and she said that it's certainly possible that THAT is the culprit. She didn't think he had any big pieces creating a blockage -- because, otherwise he'd be blown up (bloated) and his belly would be sensitive to the touch, and also, his appetite wouldn't have been so good. But, it's possible he still had some bigger pieces that just didn't digest well and reeked havoc on his poor belly......\

Anyhow, so far, things are going pretty good for him (considering!) .....I'll keep you posted. I hope he gets to come home tonite! Here is a pic that I took of him on Friday night (between visits!). They had left his catheter in his leg (just in case he was going to have to go back) and so he had this little pathetic (in a very cute way though) "arm band" like he had just given blood or something.

[​IMG]

5. GinaH

GinaH New Member

IM so happy things are looking up for Bailey. Poor Guy give him kisses for me. I printed out his picture from his picture contest page and the kids in Sunday School class all loved him our closing prayer included Bailey. Please keep us updated on the little fella.

6. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

My Mom is here this week. She LOVES Bailey just like I thought she would. So Mom and I send Bailey all our prayers and well wishes on a speedy recovery.

7. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

So glad to hear the positive progress so far for Bailey...he does look like he'ds been through a tough time in that picture......but it sounds like he just has to weather the rest of the storm, and should be home and back to his old monster self soon!! Stay tough Bailey!!

8. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

HE'S HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We just got home a few minutes ago... He's absolutely exhausted. I'm off work tomorrow, so I'll write more then.

Loves-da-pits... I remember you telling me that you're mom was going to love Bailey... hehe. :) I sure hope you showed her the cute pics of him, and not that pitiful one.... :) hehe

anyhow... 'til tomorrow... I have to go love on my baby for the next hour or three!!!

9. Hi Monsterbailey,

I'm so happy to hear that your pooch is doing better! I just loved the note that said: she would have her kids in Sunday school class pray as well. FROM THE MOUTHS OF BABES!!! Please do keep us all posted, and GET WELL SOON BAILEY, SO MAMA CAN REST!!!

I'll be praying as well.

Sincerely, Susan

10. lil96

lil96 New Member

oh, I just saw this and was so happy to be opening it bc I thought the hugs were a congrats for bailey for doing so goodin thevotings. Poor Baby Bailey. I am glad to hear he is doing a bit better. I'll keep you guys in my thoughts!