1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I am getting tired of people being scared of my dogs

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Jules, May 12, 2004.

1. Jules

Jules New Member

EVERY time I go out for a walk with my dogs I get negative responses from many people. I am tired of explaining to people that my dogs are friendly. I mean they are more interested in playing with their ball for gods sake than running up to someone for no reason and mauling them!!!
    Yesterday a guy was riding his bike and he veered off the path and onto really rough ground and kept quickly glancing over his shoulder to check where my dogs were. If he just had've stayed on the path he would've gotten away faster anyway! My dogs were sniffing in the bushes and didn't even look up at him as he went past.
    The other day I was walking them down the street and there was a lady coming towards me and my pup pulled on her lead and the clasp broke (i connected it to the wrong bit my fault entirely) and this woman started screaming, and I said "It's OK! She's just a puppy! She's really friendly she just loves people" And the woman continued to holler. I mean poor lady if she is really scared of dogs and I know it was my fault that Leela broke off her chain, but Leela didn't even go up to her. But the next day I saw her again, and you should've seen the look this lady gave me---oooooh if looks could kill I'd be 6 feet under!
    Just before I went for a walk and I passed a man in the street and he glared at my dogs with a look of hatred. Then I passed another guy and he said "They are not going to go me, are they?" Then 30 seconds later a lady was about to come around some bushes where we were, but she saw my dogs and gasped and actually worked her way through the bushes!! And she was old and had a trolley, it was quite a struggle for her!!! AND MY DOGS WERE ON THEIR LEADS!!!!
    I have had people yelping and screaming and running away- and my dogs are wondering what on earth these people are doing!!
    I have people cross the street, pretend to walk a different way...
    NOW, I know that some people can't help what they are afraid of---it's not them personally that I am attacking. I am just wondering why on earth are SO MANY people scared of dogs, and I think the media is partly to blame. It's irrational. So many people die in car accidents every day yet not many people freak out around cars.
    I'm sorry I'm just letting off some steam after coming back from my walk, I'd just love to be able to take my dogs to the dog park (the actual places that are designated for dogs play- so we have every right to be there) and not be discriminated against.

2. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

wow, i feel bad for you. what breed of dogs do you have? im assuming pits since they are the only breed i know of that people discriminate so harshly upon. i personally love them, i can help but SMILE everytime I see a good looking pit.

I honestly dont know what to tel you, some areas are worse than others when it comes to discdrimination. I wish you the best of luck with your dogs though!

3. Karriesue

Karriesue New Member

What breed of dogs do you have, Jules? :)

4. ILoveGreatDanes

ILoveGreatDanes New Member

Dobies right? This is one breed that does get a terribly undeserved reputation. They are beautiful and intimidating looking dogs...and used in the movies ALL the time. I'm suprised they havent started using pit bulls instead of dobermans because pits seem to have the worse reputation now but Dobies are just recognized more I guess. If i were walking my parents 3 pound pomeranian I'd pick it up....but thats just cause of the prey drive.

5. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

I have to say it's extreme but yet I can understand some what people are doing. The news here has made it real bad we just had another dog attack of a child and his was all bite up. The news seems to be very one sided on there reports. The boy went up to the dog and was trying to hung it and that is when the dog bite him, it did not chase him down and attack. Wild stories on the net don't help and bad news paper reports. I think a lot of this has instilled bad feelings and fear in people. If they (the news ) would put as much effort into what people should be doing around dogs, taking the time to teach parents to be more responsible just maybe there would be less bad news for them to over glorify.
    All we can do as owners is to try and teach those who make such a big deal out of nothing. Try talking to these people and explain to them about your dogs and some of the others out there and maybe you well start to claim people down and they can pass it on to others.
    2pyrs

6. Sara

Sara New Member

I've noticed that when I walk my dogs (people are afraid of them all Pit or Mastiff) if I have them on a shorter lead when the person comes up they are more likely to not act like idiots running away screeming... But I've noticed that when I have the dogs on a loose lead or when they're straining at their leash...people will turn or cross the street to pass etc...

I've also noticed that when I have one dog people are less likely to be frightened than when I have two dogs... If you look in control of your dogs or look like you CAN control them if something were to happen it's more likely people won't be too afraid to cross paths... Then you get the dimwhits who insist on petting your dog without permission or asking if the dog is okay about that sort of thing...

7. Zekesmom

Zekesmom New Member

I, too, have the same problem with my Rott. I see people picking up their little dogs and crossing the street. I work very hard socializing my dog so I can be the best mom that I can. On the flip side for every person that is afraid of our dogs I know you all have promoted your dogs as well and changed some minds! :D My neighbor told me that when she first met me she didn't know what to think of me because I have a Rott. Now she said that her opinion of Rotts did a 180. Zeke, my dog, is the protector. If play gets a little rough, her dog runs for cover under Zeke. He doesn't get aggressive but the other dogs respect him and will not bother the little one any longer. She calls him Ferdinand from the children's book. So, I am saying I feel your pain. But I also want to give everyone out there credit who is doing the right thing and being the best owners they can be. On an individual basis let's change a few peoples' misconceptions!

8. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I would avoid a small dog before I'd avoid a big dog - at least with a big dog you can see them coming (if that's what they are going to do). Little dogs sneak up behind you.

I only cross the street when walking by a larger dog (any dog actually) if I'm walking my dog - she's getting to old for any possible confrontations. But I always give the owner of the dog the benefit of the doubt - I feel that if their dog is going to be a problem they should avoid other people. So if someone walks toward me when they have their dogs and they don't move I assume their dogs are fine with strangers.

9. Nik

Nik New Member

Hi,
    I'm not sure how this will come across so I just wanted to say firstly that I, in no way am attacking you personally, just trying to put another side to it...

Ok, I'm not saying you're being paranoid as clearly things have happened to show you that people are wary when approaching your dogs, but I think you'll find those same people are wary of EVERY dog.
    I pass all sorts out on my walks, and half of the people avoid passing if possible. I've come to beleive that people generally are scared of other peoples dogs, so if it's a renound (yes, wrongly so, but a fact all the same) 'agressive' dog then they're going to be extra wary.
    Not everyone likes dogs. Not everyone wants to take the risk of their clothes getting muddy if they say hello. Not everyone can put their head up and walk past a dog in the street, any dog.
    A person on a bike who's been chased once by a dog will be wary of every dog after that.
    I beleive if a dog is startled it's more likely to investigate than if it's aware of everything. So if your dog's sniffing and minding it's own business I'd probably make a noise before I got close rather than try to whizz past quickly or be ontop of it before he knew it. Other people go out of their way to avoid them and hope the dog doesn't notice them. Others just panik and act irrationally.

I do know it's a horrible feeling when people act this way and we do take it personally, but those people really don't mean to show their fear in a nasty way, I'm sure.

I've given up trying to let my dog say hello to other dogs now. I enjoy my walks with him and only him. I don't look at peoples reactions or which way they're going any more. My attention is on him (and everything else as far as the eye can see so I can control any situation before it happens) and what others do is upto them.

What I'm trying to say is that ALOT of people, even dog owners, are scared of dogs, any dog. So just enjoy yours and let others deal with it how they have to.

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

You never know, maybe the people who pick up their small dogs and cross the streets do this because THEIR dog has a problem with other dogs. Many small dogs seem to think they are giants and I've seen them go nuts on bigger dogs. The only dog at agility who makes a scene around other dogs is this cute little pug guy. He's totally adorable, but he definitely has issues around other dogs!

Jamiya

11. Sara

Sara New Member

I'd be thankfull for someone picking up the small dogs when I approach... It's very much the opposite for me... They insist on an introduction to my dog...who views the tiny critter as a morsel...like a bunny or something...

12. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Jules ,I have the same problem .It is large dog fear factor I guess ...LOL
    This is what I have on my yard ...Collie ,Blue Healer ,American Bull and a chow /Englih Bull Mix .Now these dogs are so lovable and have never bit anyone but the gas meter reader acts ike he is dying before he ever gets out of the truck,I laugh every time he comes ....the electric meter reader was fired cause he got out with a baseball bat and struck one of mine ,I was 2 feet from him ,here he pops out with a bat and heads toward me ,one of mine rushed him ,I think he thought the man was going to hit me ,I read my own now and they come to double check about every 6 months .My dogs don't bit ,but they are here for a reason and that is to let me know when people come up ,to protect my home when I am here or away and they are my life .Most that dislike dogs do just because they are dogs and larger ,not because they bite or out of fear for a life ,they just have "issues " .They read in a paper of a "rott that bit a child or a pit that attacked a person or a dobbie that was on the loose" and 'unmanagable fear " takes over .Not reasonable to a dog lover /owner but to them it is of "ALL ' larger dogs .I say there should be in each news cast or newspaper ...a GOOD story about how a large dog ,rott ,dobie ,pit ,shepard or mix loves theri owners ,cares about the people at large .
    In this country the "few " tends to speak out and yell out their frustrations which causes problems for the many .It seems the loudest and most crude wins the day ,bad news is THE news and anything else is overlooked , EDUCATON ,the right way should be the goal ,not alot of 'What a rott did in Texas or a pit did in Timbucktoo' be the news that shatters any hope of reasonable thinking .And that is all it is . What makes the news shapes the thinking .Send in letters to your local newspapers and tv stations about the good ...see just how many puts it on ...

13. ILoveGreatDanes

ILoveGreatDanes New Member

I was walking my small dog yesterday when an 80ish pound chow mix came sprinting up to me unleashed....was rather thin and bony looking so I assumed it was a stray so I yanked up my little dog in my arms wishing my other ones were with me. Turned out to be friendly but I think what the above post mentioned is true. Some people are blinded by the media...they dont know anything about dogs basically...and others of us know to simply be on guard at all times as any dog could potentially cause a problem. The dog had just gotten loose frmo its owner and didnt want to do anything but hump mine so everything was all right =P

14. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Jules that sucks.
    I absolutely love Dobies. I just think they are gorgeous. I have only met a couple, and I admit, I was cautious, but I am always cautious meeting a dog for the first time, but what bundles of love. They were so sweet.

I agree that is must be a large breed thing. I am the complete opposite and freeze up when I am passing a small dog. I don't know what it is. I just find so many people I have encountered with small dogs don't train them because they are small.

Just keep being a good advocate for the breed and hopefully someday maybe on of those people won't scream and run. hehe

15. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

When I was looking through the info that came with Bonnie's Delta Society training info, one of the places they mention using a therapy dog is for school programs. I know sometimes police dogs are brought in for a demo and I assume they talk about dog safety, but it's probably not the focus.

I was thinking it would be great to do informational programs at schools that talk about dog safety - what to do when you see someone with a dog, what to do when you see a loose dog, what to do if you are walking your dog and encounter another dog, what to do if you are attacked, what to do if you see abuse going on, proper dog care, etc.

I wonder what someone could charge for something like that. Hmmm.... :-#

Jamiya

16. loonyluna

loonyluna New Member

Some people are just afraid of dogs. I get people avoiding me and Luna, even when she was a younger puppy. Most people seemed worried when she was straining at the leash since they don't know that she is just really excited and wants to meet them rather that lunging at them. Usually if the sidewalk is narrow, I'll make her sit-stay until the people pass. If the sidewalk is crowded, I'll make her heel. But that is because she is still learning and sometimes she will try to say hi to someone. At least she doesn't jump up anymore, she just sniffs their hands.

What surprises me is people who will pet her without finding out if it's ok with me. I hate it when I'm working on training and people will just go up to her and start petting her. And twice at the park, I was playing soccer and she was staked at the side of the field and I'd look over and some stranger will be petting her. She is so friendly but I always want to ask those people what part of their brains made them think it was ok to pet a dog they don't know. Especially one that is tied up.

17. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

jamiya ....that would be an idea but at the same time you have to get it to more than school children .Most kids ,unless tutored by parents are really not afraid of dogs .The idea is to get to the source of fear factor .The news .
    If more is put on news station ,newspapers about the 'good ' in some dogs ,the more support you get to take it to schools ,churches etc.
    I know a guy that takes snakes to schools but do I want my kids playing with snakes ? The idea is to get it to the adults ,kids are what adults make them .

18. 2pyrs

2pyrs New Member

I don't agree with the large dog theory. I think it's more breed orientated. People seem to be attracted to my Arthur (male pyr) they just can't wait to run there hands in his fur, But on the other hand they won't get near our Jack. As I have heard from many of them all little dogs bite.Who started that one anyway ? Our Collie well that is a mix some look at him and think of the old TV show yet others just back off and go to the Pyr. Size may play a roll some what but I feel it's the breed in the end that scares them off. The news is to blame for much of this in my opinion. They seem to push it to the point that people think that one dog makes them all bad in a certain breed. If it's real bad it news worthy but they don't take the time to say that some dumb kid kicked or threw a rock at the dog. Do they report that the owner beat the dog and then stuck it out front or just open the door and let it wonder around ,no just blame the dog and then put it down. Are there bad breeds out there maybe but I have never seen a poll that agrees with each other. I just would like to see the poll on the number of fools who caused the dog to act in a bad manner.

2pyrs

19. goob

goob New Member

Jimaya, try this site: http://www.safekidssafedogs.com . The woman who runs it is a well reputed trainer in VA, and the program she's set up is gaining momentum, so it apparently works. You might try contacting her if you're really interested in setting up that sort of program.

We have both small dogs, and large dogs with a bad rep, so I get to see both sides of the fence. I don't mind at all when people keep their dogs away from the bigger dogs, as both are dog aggressive, and it saves me from having to ask them not to bring their dogs up. It annoys me to no end, however, when people assume that our smaller dogs are friendly to other dogs (two are usually ok with most dogs, one is dog aggressive). It annoys me even further when after I tell someone my dog is not friendly towards other dogs, and they insist that their dog is, or that "he just wants to say hello/play"---- what does it matter when I've already told them that my dog does NOT want to "say hi"? At least with the bigger two, if I tell someone to get their dog, they usually hop right on it.

I do pick up the small dogs if I see a dog I know to be iffy with other dogs loose, I've even picked up the bigger dogs on a few occasions when we've been accosted by aggressive small dogs (won't do it if we're approached by a large aggressive dog because I don't want them jumping up and grabbing legs or belly as I hold my dog helpless). I don't for dogs on leash though, unless the dog is visibly not under the control of its owner and looks like it could cause trouble. I also will often cross the street if I pass someone while out with any of the dogs (or even if I by myself encounter someone with a dog), it's just what I do, nothing personal either way.

As far as people go, I can understand people not wanting to be bothered by the dogs (which is why they're always on leash, and under a person's control when we're out around people), and even understand their being afraid of the two bigger ones (though I feel their fears are unjustified, I also have some fears that would be considered unjustified by some, so who am I to judge), BUT I detest people who try and push their fears or beliefs about my dogs onto others. There was a woman at the playground of a nearby school when I took my nephews and Haley (yes, she's a pit bull, she's also missing a leg, and gets so excited to meet new people that her whole body wags :lol: ) there one day last month who took it upon herself to crusade and save me from my horrible choice of having a <gasp> pit bull out in public. Before we arrived at the playground, she'd been running around the sports field playing with my nephews, and she was completely wiped out, wanted to do nothing more than lay at my feet and pant, so we sat at a bench between two of the playgrounds, yet still far enough away from each that I didn't need to worry about kids running over/into her or her getting up and getting in the way... the following copied from a post I made in the pit bull forum about it:
    All the while as she was "educating" me, there was a min pin tied to a fence 15 ft behind her carrying on furiously at the end of his lead everytime anything ran or walked nearby (his owners and some others were playing basketball, and he kept running up and snapping at their ankles, so they tied him out of the way)... his owners never got a lecture on their (obviously, as per his behavior, definitely not play) aggressive dog being near children, while I was for having a friendly, well adjusted, relatively well trained and mannered (and certainly at that moment, she never moved from the ground at my feet), leashed and under control dog out in public.

Lucky for me, the majority of people in this area are pretty accepting of the dogs, irregardless of breed. I often walk Haley past the school during baseball practice, and a lot of people come up to pet her, or just to ask questions about her, which leads to most pettign and loving on her anyway, after all, who could pass up such a cute face :lol: ?

20. Jules

Jules New Member

lol Jamiya, I call this "Small dog syndrome!" I love small dogs aswell and think sometimes it would be great to have a lap dog, but they usually think they're so tough hey?! They have to make up for their size somehow!

And yes, I have one dobe and one dobe cross rottweiler. And think if someone tried to break into my house, they'd get a warm welcome. I got someone to feed them once when I wasn't home- and I was a unsure of how the dogs would act with someone coming into the house when we weren't there, but they were greeted with wagging tails!

I also get people coming up who have no fear of dogs and just patting them & stuff- and they don't even ask me first! I was also at the park trying to train Leela, and she ran up to a group of students and they all patted her and a girl gave her some chips! I thought, oh great, now she'll think strangers mean treats, better go check them all out!

I also think we have alot of people here that are afraid of dogs in this area. My friend lives down near the beach and it really is a dog paradise down there. Everyone is used to living alongside dogs because there are so many of them around. The owners just stroll down the street with dogs in tow... no leads. And there is this cute local cafe where the dogs lounge around in the sun out the front after their owners have just taken them for a run down the beach! Everyone pats dogs on the street & says hello... where as I just get bad looks and people avoiding me!

I feel like explaining to that woman that freaked out what my dogs are like etc etc, but I have a feeling she doesn't speak english. Maybe that's why she was still freaked out when I said my dog was harmless.

I do agree there should be some sort of education, and sometimes teaching the students about things like this gets through to the parents aswell when the kids go home and tell the parents what they have learnt. It's like the recycling story here, they get taught at school how important it is to be environmentally conscious, and they go home and tell their parents what they should be putting in which bin.