1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I am looking for a unique fish...any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Kirk, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Kirk

Kirk New Member

I am sick of all of the favorites i want somthing that is both interesting and unique.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What size tank?

-Chelle

3. Kirk

Kirk New Member

It is a twenty-nine gallon tank, i forgot to mention its freshwater as well.

4. M_wm

M_wm New Member

How about Rams? or A pair or pink convicts, Ive always wanted to do a tank with only tiger barbs that would be cool to

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

There's one or two species of freshwater puffers. There's also a few species of brackish puffers if you want to go that route.

African butterfly fish are odd looking, but they're aggressive (especially to other top dwellers) so you could only keep one.

There's actually some really cool looking species of plecos that don't get really large, but most of them are really delicate and really expensive.

Kuhli loaches and glass catfish are pretty cool/and unusual looking.

-Chelle

6. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Thank you, ill take a look at a few of those fish.

7. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Well with the propper care you could possible try a Knife fish, but this isnt for beginners!

8. Kirk

Kirk New Member

I have actualy had a knife fish before and it didnt go very well... I have a glass cat fish or "ghost cat" as the lady at the pets store called it. I have had it for about on year now.

9. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea, i like the look of the glass cats.....maybe if your fish wont eat these, get some ghost shrimp too....i find them pretty interesting as that you can see all of the organs and watch the stomach in action when feeding.

10. Kirk

Kirk New Member

pet**
    Also i am most likely going to be buying a 55 gallon fish tank. The price at Wal-Mart including the stand is 55$. Is this a decent price? There are not many pet stores around here and i have no way of checking prices other than online or in Ottawa.

11. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

sounds like a pretty good deal....if you r gettin a 55, might as well get what i consider the best pet a fish can be, and go for a flowerhorn.....need any more info on them, jsut PM me

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

That sounds like a heck of a deal. I bought my 55 at Walmart a little over 2 years ago and it cost close to $300 (American $) for the tank, stand, and some crappy equipment.

-Chelle

13. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Arent Flowerhorns a lot of money? Also i dont want to buy somthing really expensive if it wont live a long time. Is the weight of a 55 gallon tank is to much to be on the second floor of a house?

14. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

flowerhorn:all depends on the grade of the fish, the area in which you live, and the people you know that might be able to hook you up....what area are you from?

15. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If flowerhorns are anything like other large new world cichlids, they can easily live 10 years.

A 55 gallon tank with decor, equipment, etc, should weigh roughly 550 lbs. For liability reasons, I'm really hesitant to say that your floor can support it. I think that if placed correctly (perpendicular to floor joists and up against a load bearing wall or above a wall on the 1st floor) in a structurally sound house, it should be fine. But again, I'm going to have to say don't take my word for it. If you're really worried, call a contractor or structural engineer and have him look things over.

-Chelle

16. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Well im from the Ottawa valley and there is only one pet store in my small town. I dont really know of any way of getting a flowerhorn. I could get an oscar maybe. And Chelle my house is pretty solid but i think it would probaly make me sleep easier if it was on the first floor. I hear oscars can be a bit of handful but i think one in a 55 gallon would do alright wouldnt it?

17. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes, 55 is the bare minimum for one oscar and maybe add a bottom feeder like a pleco (if you want maintenance to be easier, you can just keep the oscar).

-Chelle