1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

i been puting........

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by chris5302, Jun 15, 2004.

1. chris5302

chris5302 New Member

i been puting in this ICK AWAY stuff for about 2 weeks now and it wont go away. how do i make it go away plaese help im really worried and can it kill him

p.s. hes been killing every thing i put in the tank that bigger then him

p.s.s. hes buddy

2. tina1

tina1 New Member

exactly what is he??????????????

3. chris5302

chris5302 New Member

hes an oscar and hes only 4 inch

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What size tank, what else is in it, and what are the readings for ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte, and temperature? If your water quality is bad, he's going to be stressed and it will be more difficult for him to get better.

Raising the temperature to around 84* speeds up the life cycle of the ich parasite and makes the treatment go a little quicker. But if you raise the temperature, you'll likely need more aeration (if you don't already have an air stone I'd add one).

-Chelle

5. chris5302

chris5302 New Member

temp 83

ammonia 0

nitrate 40

nitrite 0

6. chris5302

chris5302 New Member

hes in a 35 gallen

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How often do you do water changes? Your nitrAtes are too high. And I really hope you plan on upgrading your tank really soon, or you're going to be in for even worse problems in the near future.

As for the ich, I've had luck treating with just aquarium salt and raised temperature. IIRC, the dosage is 1tbsp/10 gallons. Add the full dosage to the tank initially. Then, the only time you need to add more is any time you do a water change; but only add enough to cover the amout of freshwater you're adding (ie. A 30 % water change would be 10.5 gallons. So you would only add just a tiny bit more than 1 tbsp of salt). Keep that up until a week after the last spot has disappeared. Then do a series of partial water changes to slowly remove the salt.

-Chelle

8. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

melafix is meant to be good, as it is natural for treating all sorts of deaseses including ich. also anti white spot treatment, part of a large range available at most LFS. £3.99

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I've never heard of Melafix claiming to treat ich (I'll have to look at my bottle again). It does claim to have some antibacterial and antifungal properties but those are greatly disputed. It probably has a little, but not enough to treat a full blown bacterial or fungal infection. That said, I do love the stuff since it is great for helping wounds heal quickly.

-Chelle

10. chris5302

chris5302 New Member

i do water changes 1s a week

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I suggest upping it to twice a week until you can get a larger tank.

-Chelle

12. chris5302

chris5302 New Member

13. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

t-chelle,.

have you ever smelt the stuff when putting it in the tank, it smells like medicinal plasters!

I feel as if my fish are getting high on herbals!

i found it excellent for treating wounds, but havent needed to use it in a long while.

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I use the pond mMelafix which is 5x more concentrated than the aquarium stuff so the smell is even stronger. But I think Pimafix smells even worse.

-Chelle

15. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

i usually go with quick cure, it does a great job, though melafix has given 2 of my fish broken swim bladder without any other medication involved. and that was for platies so b very careful!