1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I believe the good Lord is testing me big time?!?!!?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by disneeworld, Jun 17, 2004.

1. disneeworld

disneeworld New Member

Some of you are aware of me having to put my oldest cat of 12 years to sleep last month and another outdoor cat I had for 5 years had to be put down 10 days later. In order to help make up for these losses, I took in a black stray a couple weeks ago that had been hanging around the yard/neighborhood for about a year. Got him shots, neutered him, treating for worms, no diseases, and am now in week 2 of breaking him in with the rest of the brood, making 8 total.
    Well guess what appears on my back porch this morning? YEP a little black kitten, probably about 3-4 months old. It was coughing and sniffing and snorting and its eyes are all red and runny and of course I was devastated..as in OH GOD PLEASE NOT ANOTHER ONE!! I honestly thought there were no more outdoor strays left other than the 3 or 4 adults who I believe are all fixed or all the same sex or a combo of the two. About 4 months ago, one of the siblings of the black cat I took in a couple of weeks ago wandered off and never returned. My guess is it was a female and went off to have a litter, and this is one of them. Can't help but wonder where the Mom is and where the rest of the litter is? I thought she wandered off and maybe died or was killed by an animal. Anyways here I am with a new black kitty, apparently sick, I took her in to the spare room(I think its a she),and wiped her face and eyes down, and gave her some feline antihistamine I keep spare in reserve for the other guys, also 1/2 a prednisone from leftover and reserve supply, and very small pill portion of a recent antibiotic from Punkin who was put down last month. She's really sweet and lets me do anything without a fuss. Doesn't look too skinny so apparently has been eating something all these months. After every time I go in to check on her and wipe her eyes, etc, I have been washing my hands and arms and legs big time hoping not to spread anything to the other cats. So its now been about an hour, she's hanging out in a basket and blanket I set up in the spare room, and I am now undecided whether to take her to vet today, or give her a chance to get better with home remedies. I honestly cannot see me taking this in to the household permanently, it is just too much. I have thought of the animal shelter but they'll probably put her down if she's sick. Maybe I can just nurse her back to health, maybe take her in in a few days to get fixed if we can estimate she is old enough, give her a round of shots,and then let her back outside?. This process may take a few weeks which of course means the risk of attachment which I really don't want..Unfortunately not a big call for adopted kittens around here. I am sure this is a common dilemma of readers here and wondering if anyone has some advice they'd like to offer.
    By the way, my vet gave me a 400 dollar credit for future services as a result of all the monies I spent on the 3 surgeries for the cats in April and May(2 died anyway). I used up 260 last week for the new cats neutering, tests ,and shots, and was hoping to save the rest for other future visits. I hate to waste it on this brand new kitten but I may just have to.

So as I said, LORD.. why are you doing this to me????????? :? :roll:

2. vene

vene New Member

It's funny and not funny all at the same time! :p You are one special guy and all the needy will flock to you. I bet you are going to bring her to the vet because you have such a big heart! :eek: Let us know what happens! :love_y_t_much:

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I can relate!!! I'm in the same boat you are!

4. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

well.....they say "there are no mistakes...."

there have been recent posts on this issue, and some controversy and strong opinions. just be prepared...

i think it is good that you care so much for the kitties. it is a hard decision after you have spent so much money recently. it could end up costing you alot. sometimes it comes down to "do i want to spread the money thin and get a little care for a lot of cats, or do i want to have enough money for fewer cats."

i have spent alot of money on max and i dont know how people do it with multiple cats. i have considered getting another one, but right now it seems to be costing me and arm and a leg. so i just pass on another kitty right now.

i might consider looking for a foster family or no kill shelter. especially if it compromises the care your other animals may need because of finances.

good luck. keep us posted

5. disneeworld

disneeworld New Member

Even if it means racking up the cred cards, I have always without fail sought proper care for all the indoor brood. Luckily they have been generally healthy, save a UTI here and there, including and up until recent when my 1 indoor developed cancer(died) and my other indoor with localized vacinne induced carcinoma(doing well).
    As mentioned earlier I still have some credit due, which will likely be wiped out since I went ahead and made an appt. tomorrow for this little booger. It is quite possible this kitten could be very ill beyond help(she seems miserabley uncomfortable but still friendly which is killing me because I wish she were mean than I would not care as much)..otherwise if it is just a severe respiratory illness, I will probably take care of her until she's well with some meds the vet will likely prescribe, and then decide whether to keep her indoors(doubtful) or release her outside(after spaying), where she can join a couple of the others who seemingly do well on the back porch and in backyard and woods. Assuming she recovers, I likely will also put a giveaway ad with picture up to see if by rare chance someone is interested in adoption.

6. dolly

dolly New Member

I think Gandhi put it best when he said that a society should be judged by the way it treats its animals--I think the same can be said for individuals :D I'm sure there's a special place in heaven for people who take care of God's helpless creatures!

7. disneeworld

disneeworld New Member

At this rate I may be arriving at this SPECIAL PLACE sooner than I expected. :mrgreen:

BTW any advice on how to relieve the nasal congestion and runniness until I get her in to vet tomorrow? I have never seen a cat with such a "COLD" as this one has and it is so sad to look at. She can't even smell her food therefore not eating right now.

8. nern

nern New Member

You are so kind to help these strays. I'm not really sure what I would do in your situation but keep us posted on whatever you decide.

9. disneeworld

disneeworld New Member

Will do...My vet just emailed me and said go out and buy childrens cold nose drops and for me to continue with antihistamine pills but to stop giving prednisone as it diminishes the immune system. Of course tomorrow is the vet appt. so can get better treatment and diagnosis there.

I am really edgy/fearful about where this kittens siblings are,I.E. are they going to show up over the next few days or has this one been separated for awhile? I cannot believe how quiet and friendly she is despite feeling miserable..its gonna be a tuff decision to keep her or let go. Maybe I should let the other new black one go(from 2 weeks ago, spent a year outdoors from birth)..he has been whiney and howling last 2 weeks and drives me nuts..I think he wants to go out side permanently..getting a little less by the day but still very annoying..I should toss him out with the bird crumbs LOL..nah!!!

10. fleafly

fleafly New Member

It sounds like the kitten has an Upper Respiratory infection which should clear up with some TLC and antibiotics. A humidifier can help make them more comfortable, and asprin can help surpress a fever.

I know it seems like a trial sometimes, but these little ones need help and the Lord knows you will help them; that's why they come to you.

11. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

:oops: hi disneeworld...i just wanted you to know that i hope you did not think i was implying you were not caring properly for your kitties. you sound like a dedicated and responsible pet owner...knowledgeable too.

i think i just misread your post and assumed there were financial issues. oops!!! you know what they say about assuming....i dont really even know where i got that.

my bad... #-o i hope your kitty gets better. sounds like a sweetheart.

12. disneeworld

disneeworld New Member

Indeed it is an upper resp. infection and brought back home with antibiotic, eye goop tetramycin, and an antihistamine...tested negative for feline leuk and FIV, and also negative for worms, which is surprising. Approximately 6 months to a year old and unspayed.
    SOOOO 135 bux later(ate up every penny of my past credit, I ended up owing 98 cents for the day after credit LOL)..and a new kitty saga begins.
    Named her JUNO, since it is the month of JUNE when she showed up, similar to how I named one of my cats MAYA(pronounced MY-YA) 2 years ago when I adopted her in MAY...clever huh??????LOL!

So I guess after she recovers I will get her spayed and shots and then decide if I shd keep her or try and have her adopted. I am working on convincing my neighbor with one cat to get another one ..maybe this one will do the trick, as she is so calm and sweet and mellow.

Lynnhaz, I didnt take comments personally, don't worry. Just wanted to clarify to all that no matter what, the other guys will always get regular care as needed. I am pretty bummed that the vet didn't comp the check up and discount the bloodwork as is usually the case with a stray. She did it in FEB with another one I brought in...I didn't ask and perhaps assumed that she would give me a little break, knowing my plight and all. But perhaps this was a way for them to recoup the rest of the 400 dollar credit I received as discussed previously.
    Sometimes a little vet greed does win out in the end, no matter what. Or perhaps I am the greedy one..LOL!

13. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

whew!...so she is basically okay with a little snozzy....(cold). that's a relief. disneeworld...i thought of you when i read this story....the lady in the story has cats that "just show up". but it is kind of interesting. vene posted it....

http://www.castleofspirits.com/stories02/cameback.html

i hope the link goes through. if not...i will find a way to cut/paste the link

14. disneeworld

disneeworld New Member

update>>>>>>>

Sunday 6/20 update, 3 days after.....

Well 'Juno' seems to be doing much better since Sat morning. Eating on her own as opposed to syringe parfaits. She is great at taking her pills and anything else I have force fed her like food and water. Eyes clearing up and so is the nose. I am hoping in a few days she will completely recover from this ordeal. Kills me to think how long she was sick as she was roaming around the past few months in the Florida heat and thunderstorms.

Next trick is shots and spaying and I am going to try and have her adopted, maybe next door neighbor, or maybe friend of a friend type thingy, but I have a gut feeling this one may end up a keeper..she is too cute and so mellow and I bet after her isolation she gets along great with the others in the house since she's still so petite for under a year old most likely.. I have a strong feeling she is related to 2 or 3 of my indoor cats since I am pretty certain who the DAD is. Plus she has the same little white fur spot on her chest(shes all black) as my all grey cat has on hers. Or maybe that's not genetic I dunno.

PLEASE LET THIS BE THE END OF THE FERAL BRIGADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

15. vene

vene New Member

Yeah! That's great news Disneeworld! :eek: I think sweet little Juno is a keeper. If she were my kitty, I would have a very difficult time letting go. Whatever you decide it's meant to be. Someone will be very lucky to have her. By the way, I have a sister named Maya. When she was a kid, she used to be a pain in the a**. :mrgreen:

16. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

good to hear of her progress disneeworld. i have to say...your posts...and phrasing...are wonderful :)

you write like a journalist or a writer....?!?

wish max were so mellow. he is off the charts hyperactive at this point. part of it is he needs to be neutered...part of it is that he has wild blood in his ancestry...not too far removed...maybe a lobotomy...prefrontal cortex elimination...or...a mellowness transfer like a kidney transfer... :shock: