1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I bought a feeder fish...and boy is it big

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Trickster, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Well i bought a feeder fish. It turned out to be a Goldfish (Comet) Like many are, I didnt want it as a feeder, just trying to get it to cooperate with my betta, tht failed so he has its own container. Its about 1 inch long and growing, eats betta food for now....... at wht size u think i should actually but gold fish food? and is it actually a goldfish? or am i mistaken?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The two most common fish sold as feeders are goldfish (commons/comets) and rosey/fathead minnows.

Minnows:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Goldfish:
    [​IMG]

What exactly is his container? Is it an actual aquarium with a filter? Or just a bowl of water?

Goldfish & minnows need aquariums with filters. If your fish is a minnow, then it really will do best with a group of at least 6 and that will require at least a 20 gallon tank. If it's a common/comet goldfish, it will get 12"+ and need around a 40 - 50 gallon aquarium.

And I'd go ahead and start it on goldfish food. If it's too small for pellets, then go with flake.

-Chelle

3. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Just a small countainer of water, I have him and wht looks like a mino, its small and blackish. I am planning when he gets to big to put him in my friends back yard pond,,,,, when winter comes........will it kill him in an out door pond???

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How deep is your friend's pond? My rosey minnows and my goldfish all did just fine in my pond this past winter and it got well below freezing, but my pond is 4' deep.

Also, his tank/conatiner needs to be filtered and have some form of aeration. The water in the container will quickly become stagnant and suffocate him and/or ammonia will build up very quickly and lead to ammonia poisoning. How large (gallons?) is the conatiner?

-Chelle

5. Trickster

Trickster New Member

All i use is water conditioner... is tht enough? well it dont matter now, he has passed on. But if water conditioner isnt enough (WHich i dont yet know) How come my betta dont die of no filter? (in a betta hex) is it cuz they so versitile?

6. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

bettas are ALOT more hardier and are used to small envirobments as a living space.....if you can, a contianer a gallon or two would be even better for a betta. should only cost a few dollars for a bowl/jar like this. as for the water conditioner, thats all the betta pretty much needs.