1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I cant Believe this from a Rotty Owner

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by daddyfs, Mar 20, 2005.

1. daddyfs

daddyfs New Member

I saw a man with a nice looking Rotty. I told him he had a nice looking dog.. and he asked if i had one and i told him about Jax.. He went on a rampage about how Rotty's are so much better that Pits that Pits are dangerous and why would you want a dog like that.. a dog that wont let go.. he said you can tell a Rotty to stop attacking but a Pit wont let go cuz of the Lock Jaws... It caught me off guard cuz Pits and Rottys face the same prejudice.. so for him to go off like.... i tried to tell him that we face the same issues but he would not hear it.. i got pretty pissed so i jus told him to agree to disagree.. and he walked away.. man!!

2. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I love Rotts and Pits and statistically Rotts have a higher bite/attack rate than Pits in most cities/countries.

Sometimes you have to resign yourself to the fact that some people are happy to live in complete ignorance of reality.

And as far as I know Pits jaws don't lock.

3. daddyfs

daddyfs New Member

I like Rottys too i never thought other breeds of dogs where better than others

4. PiTlOvErWITHcHiLd

PiTlOvErWITHcHiLd New Member

There jaws dont lock people think they do just cause of the amount of pressure they put down when they bite and it is hard to get them open but they dont lock. Rotty's are in the same boat as Pits but they just dont do as much media on rotts as they do pits (and the dogs they mix up as pits).

5. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

wow, so much for treating others the way youd like to be treated. i hope that man gets a big fat dose of breed discrimination against his rotty, see how he likes that.

6. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Every time I hear that "Locking Jaw" baloney, I have to ask..."Then how do they eat? If their jaws lock when they bite down, why don't they starve to death?"

I think the very first thing I taught my bull terriers, after 'don't pee in the house' was 'LEAVE IT', meaning 'Whatever you have in your mouth, drop it'. And I never once had a problem getting them to release their grip on anything, from a favorite toy to the Standard Schnauzer in obedience class, who started something she couldn't finish.

7. daddyfs

daddyfs New Member

lol i guess they can choose when they want to lock it

8. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Can't say it hasn't happened before. Some guy just started talking to me in line at wal mart about everything and anything including his two giant german rotts. Told me how big they were and how gentle and wonderful they were with his grand kids. Also said that they are trained, once he had a friend over guess he also has another dog it was on his porch. The friend was playing with the grand daughter teasing her or whatever, when he said watch out for the dog and she said the words "bite dog" and the rottweiler came running around from the backyard going to attack the guy but he stopped it and it just jumped on him and broke his collar bone. Real funny, great story to him. I didn't agree with it, but then he goes any dog can be mean, its all how you train them. I said yeah I agree, I have Pit Bulls. Then he said he couldn't say too much good about them. I had to know why because of what he just said and everything, didn't make sense. So he tells me he was in the service and in whatever I can't even remember half of what he said now, but a Pit Bull was let loose on him and he emptied a clip on it and it wouldn't go down. It was still coming for him, when a rebel girl shot it dead and shot the guy who's dog it was in the legs but didn't kill him, he said she just wanted to torture him or something, killing his dog was adding salt to the wounds. Anyway I just didn't understand the relavence of the story to not liking Pits because one was coming after you, someone trained the dog to kill on command is that any different then him training his rottweiler to do all these things on command. So a Pit Bull comes after him and now they are "bad dogs" not trained to be bad, his Rottweilers are trained to attack and other commands and they are great dogs, him and his dogs sound like wonderful PR for the breed, I'm sure the guy loved having a 120+lbs dog coming after him ready to take a bite out of him and then jump on him and break his collar bone. This is was a hypocrit and real idiot.

9. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

And theres another classic example of "responsible" ownership :x
    When you have a trained protection/attack/guard dog...you dont teach young kids the attack words...kids often think its 'cool' to show off with, I did it myself with my Grandfathers guard dog when I wa 9, I was in trouble over something and my mom was mad at me so I gave the dog his command and in a heartbeat he had her pinned against the wall....man did I 'get it' when we got home :oops:
    I had a Great Dane Mix in UK in the 80's when all the media was crucifying Pits, my dog looked like a Pit when he was running towards you but had no Pit in him, (I knew both his parnts) he was instinctively protective...if he had to be but had never been trained in protection and for the most part loved everyone and would be more likelyto lick someone to death, I got a lot of 'harrassment'...although no one ever came too close when he was with me.

10. daddyfs

daddyfs New Member

Its not so funny when the shoe is on the other foot i guess..

11. StormyMoon

StormyMoon New Member

You know I think both are equaly hard dogs I have a Rottie mix and a Pit bull and I was in here on the pc my husband was doing something in the kitchen and I thought they was safe as long as someone was with them.

My Rottie mix is 4 years old and the pit is 7 months old.
    Queeny she is not that old but acts like a old woman she I supose was having a bad day and she turned to my pit and she attacked her.

I checked over my rottie no bite marks no blood nothing but my pit was all messed up.
    I had to clean it take her back to the vet cause they was all punkture wonds and those can be really bad.
    I just didnt want to take any chances I told the dr I cleaned her with poroxide and added ointment and gave her 1 Antibiotic pill from our last visit that I saved.
    She is doing better and they both act like they never fought .. they both sleep together but I make sure from now on I am in the room or out side with them at all times when they are together for some reason they dont listen to anyone but me.

She may have just been chastizing her teaching her , her role in the family I dont know what happen to make her turn like she did.

So to Me either dog can be just as bad no matter the power behind it bites are bites either way they still hurt and can leave bad infections.

12. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

My Rott got 'attacked' by a chihauha and a jack russell, she never bit back she just stepped on them and pinned them down...didnt even growl at them.

13. StormyMoon

StormyMoon New Member

That is what Queeny does with smaller animals even cats she dont normaly bite ( NORMALY )

But she felt she needed to make her point I supose and she did now when she barks at Mystical , Mystical runs the other way or bows her head.

When you have 2 females like that one has to be Alpha female.

[​IMG]

Here they are with my kids.