1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I give up

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tina1, Jul 9, 2004.

1. tina1

tina1 New Member

I give up. I totally believe that trying to keep guppies healthy and alive for a long period of time is pointless :( Last week I lost four of my adults that I raised myself for no apparent reason. Now, today I see that another one has got some discoloration on his abdomen and his tail has some growths on it. There, once again, is no reason that I can determine.

I thought I always had problems with guppies because I was buying poor quality stock but after raising my own and having some moderate success with purchased adults I thought I was doing ok. But after this, loosing six month old adults for no reason, I won't keep guppies again.

Too bad to because I really like them but I just can't stand to have fish dropping dead all the time. My rams who are supposedly ultra sensitive to everything haven't even exhibited any sort of weird behavior or symptoms of disease either.

If anyone has any thoughts on how I can keep the rest healthy I would love to hear them. Incidentally, only the males are dying the females remain healthy and growing.

Test results are as follows: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 30

Thanks, RIP little guys :(

2. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Aww I'm sorry about your guppies, doesnt make much sense. Ive been keeping guppies ever since I got my first serious tank and haven't outside of problems that were my own fault like ammonia spikes during cycling.

3. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Shame! Loosing your fish is the hardest part of fishkeeping. dont give up to quickly. what is your ph? tank size? other fish in the tank? i had a time when my platties where dying and i was about to give up. But i didnt i keept looking after the other fish and they ended up breeding and now i have a 10 gal of 20 something fry. Never give up that easy just keep on trying. what was that thing that you said you saw on your fish?

4. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

iv lost nearly 3 this week (one is on its way out) to bacteria disease, and others for no apparent reason.

Guppies, originally used to be alot bigger than they are now, about sailfin molly size. Over the years, aquarists modified them to make them the size they are now, but, its made them so much weeker.

Batches apon batches die on import in my LFS. he says he only get a good batch once in a while.

any help.

Amy. x

5. OneWolvesDream

amy, yeah that would be my best guess, poor fish health. thats why when i get a new fish i will inspect them first, depending on health i will see where they will go, like if it has ich, nipped fins or anything else i will put them in the hospital tank, if they seem to be healthy i will put them in my fish tank.

6. tina1

tina1 New Member

Well pH is 7.6 and tank size is just a ten gallon but I actually have this same problem in all of my tanks. I've been trying to keep guppies for over ten years and have never been able to keep one alive for more than a year. I just don't get it!

And on another sad note, I went into the lfs today and saw emporer tetras which I've been wanting for a long time. So I got five to put in with my rams and two hours later one is already dead :(

It just hasn't been my week :(

7. OneWolvesDream

:cry: aww thats sad :cry: but think about it, some pets that have been at a lfs for a long time could have a reason like people see them dropping like flys. also maybe try dropping your ph a little. i have seen places that say its highest should be 7.5, try get it in the 7.3 range.