1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I got a new kitty!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by lucidity03, Sep 27, 2004.

1. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Well, we went and looked at kittens this weekend. After being tempted by many different kitties (esp. the 5 week old Bengals who weren't ready to go yet), we got this little girl. She has no name yet. I need suggestions!

She is very docile, sweet, and a little shy. We have already gotten her along with one of our four other cats. But, that was the easy part. The rest of the introductions will take time. I feel bad becuase the others are a little jealous.

I tried my hardest to get a good pic or two of the little one. But, she kept moving and my digital camera has a delay after I push the button. But, here are some semi-successful pics I got

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She's half Bengal / half Maine Coon. Apparently, a kid at the breeder's house let out a female Bengal and she made it to a Male Maine Coon. Hence, my kitten. (She's 14 weeks old. She looked big at first, that is until I compared her to my other cats!)

The breeder was very nice. The cats live in her house and she takes great care of them. This kitten was a part of her family until we gave her a new home with us. She is so sweet and the softest cat I've ever felt.

So, now we have to get working on getting everyone along. Hopefully it will go smoothly!

2. Bente

Bente New Member

Congrats on the new family member!! She looks adorable :eek:

*wants to reach trough the screen and touch the soft bengal fur everybody is talking about*

Can't think of a name suggestion (did I spell that right?) right now, but on my home computer I know I've got links to a couple of name sites (I'm at work right now, working really hard... hehe :mrgreen: )

3. wtpooh

wtpooh New Member

Soooooooooo cute!!! What beautiful markings she has!

Congrats on the new edition! \:D/

4. vene

vene New Member

Yipee, congrats! :0018: :0020: :m2: She looks like Max and Rene. LOL's! I guess it's official, we're now the 3 Auspet Bengal stooges! :mrgreen: Can't think of a name yet, will let you know soon. She's gorgeous! :kiss_heart: :m27: :m10:

5. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

Adorable little kitty! :p

6. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Thanks, everyone. I thought this little one looked like the other resident Bengals. They are stooges, aren't they? I caught the little one playing in her water a couple times this weekend. I can't wait until she can come into the bathroom with us.

By the way, does anyone have any introduction advice? I haven't done it in over three years. They're seperated (well, she's in the spare room) when we're not home. When we are home, we have a baby gate up in the spare room to keep the little one in. The other cats have come up to the gate to check her out. They have growled and hissed here and there. I was a little suprised that the little one growled a couple times, too.

We're thinking of takng her into the living room tonight and blocking that off. We're hoping that the other cats will be interested to come in and check things out.

7. Ginger

Ginger New Member

Wow shes a beautiful cat, Congrats!

There is an article on this site http://www.animalbehaviorassociates.com/rmn_articles.htm
    Under the heading Behavior Wellness and Problem Prevention, the article is called Introducing a New Cat to Your Household Cats, sounds like just what you need :)

8. halaroo

halaroo New Member

:eek: Congrats on the new addition! She's very pretty.

9. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

she is absolutely beeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuuttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiffffuuuuuuuuulllllllll :eek:

she does look sooo much like max and rene. she has marble markings like them...vs the spotted bengals. yea!!!!!!!!! i am soo excited. :D

good link on the introduction process. i had planned to take two weeks to introduce mikey to max and keep the door closed with a towel the whole time, because they can still smell each other even if there is a towel. my vet suggested that because if the new kitty brings in a uri, sometimes the incubation period is about 10 days before you see symptoms.

my plan failed... :shock:

after about a week, max decided he had enough of the towel business, and took the towel away every time i wedged it under the door. then one day around that time, max just barged his way into the room when i opened the door to go see mikey...it was hysterical...he just muscled his way through the door and ran up to mikey!!

i separated them....but took the towel away so they could play footsies which they did all day long. never any hissing or fear on either part. when i finally let them together, which was only about a day later...they played and rolled and wrestled all day long. no hissing...almost like they were the best of friends from the "get go". :m41:

good luck in the process. slow is always better. there is the idea of "negative imprinting" if they have a bad experience from the beginning...sometimes you cant repair that...they might never get along. slow is better.

i am soo excited about this little development!!!!! :eek:

10. vene

vene New Member

11. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

My husband came up with "Miss Purrs A Lot of the 3rd Order" - I thought it was hysterical, but he says he was kidding. (I thought it was a good idea :shock: )

12. vene

vene New Member

I must be psychic because I had entered Purrdy, but decided last second to delete it. Lol's. Whatever name you two come up with, I'm sure it'll be a good one! :eek:

13. nern

nern New Member

What a beauty. Congrats! :D

14. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

shes so pretty!!! i was gonna name sassy "lil miss priss" and call her prissy 4 short but sassy fit her alot better...

15. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

She's really pretty, Lucidity03. I'm so happy for all of you. She's got herself a wonderful new forever home. I think she looks like a 'Tigress.' :wink:

16. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Thanks, everybody. I think we decided on Ducati as her name. That was our original thought and we haven't thought of another one we both like. I've been calling her little girl for awhile but I'll have to break that habit.

Ginger, thanks for the link. I read a couple articles and they seemed helpful.

We had the kitten in with all the cats last night in our living room (we had it so she couldn't get out, but the others could come and go as they please). All in all it was a success. Three of the four cats were perfectly fine with her. The sniffed her and went off to snooze in a window. Chloe did try to play with her and she was a little scared of that.

I am worried about Zoe. She's the most reluctant. She finally checked out the kitten's room last night when the kitten was downstairs. She came down with us a couple times. But, she didn't last too long. She seems to be the easiest to hiss at the kitten. We had the door shut with the kitten in the spare room last night and Zoe ran by it hissing. I think I may try that feliaway stuff and see if it works. I hope that time can get Zoe to accept the new kitten. I guess she's doing ok since it's only been a couple days. I'm just trying to make sure they don't do anything they don't want to do. I try to let Zoe be away from the kitten most the time, but offer her the chance to be with the kitten if she wants.

17. vene

vene New Member

Wow, that's amazing. 3/4 cats have already adjusted! Don't worry. It's early yet. I'm sure Zoe will warm up to Ducati soon. How do you pernonouce Ducati? What does it mean, the cat? :0011:
    It took 2 years for Pumpkin to warm up to newbies and the baby. I guess some cats are more set in their ways. They'll open up when they are ready.

18. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Ducati (Do - caught - E) is a type of motorcycle. Both my husband and I ride. He likes to name his critters after cars or bikes. His mom's cat's name is Porsche. But, a Ducati motorcycle is (for lack of a better term) kind of exotic. It's a nice brand of motorcycle that I could only probably afford if it were used.

I'm sure they will get along. I get antsy. I just feel bad for Zoe. Also, the kitten hates to be locked in that room. So, I would love to let her out all the time, but I don't want to further stress Zoe. But, I have to keep telling myself, it's only been a couple days.... it's only been a couple days. I'll just have to bribe Zoe some more with the Tuna Flakes she loves so much.

19. vene

vene New Member

Thank you. Ducati is a good name. It fits her since she's an exotic breed! :eek: I drive a Lexus (used of course- shhhh, don't tell my neighbors or friends). LOL's. Maybe I'll change Ginger the stray's name to Lexus as inspired by Ducati. :mrgreen:

20. vene

vene New Member

Has Zoe accepted Ducati yet?