1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I got a new puppy,got a few questions,Serious ones! Plz look

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by QueenyJr, Aug 7, 2004.

1. QueenyJr

QueenyJr New Member

Hey Everyone,
    I got a puppy this weekend, well, the people we got her (she’s mutt but adorable) were the biggest hill billys i have ever saw, seriously. My family is all from West Virginia so no one please take offence I really have never saw people live like that before, they had three smaller type dogs in their house, and we went and knocked ion the door and this woman comes out with a think accents “Oh you ant (she said want funky) see the pups.” We’re like yeah. We go back there and it smells sooooo bad, and here come three adorable puppies. I couldn’t help but love all of them I wanted to take all three lol. But this golden brown one came up and just looked at me and like didn’t jump on me like the other two so I decided that yea, I would come and get her. I had all night to think about it. I decided that I would rescue her from that hell hole. Well, we told them we would show up early to get her since we were leaving at 7:30 or had planned to. We got there around 8:30 because we had to eat breakfast. Well, this time her father answered and here comes one of the little dogs and his/her teeth were all messed up and half it‘s hair was missing I feel so bad I do not even want to think about what the other two looked like. The mother of my pup was very pretty, she was also a mutt, she was black and tan and a bit small.
    Well, I was all excited, because I had finally found the puppy for me she was sweet and actually liked me and only me. So we drove the 6 hours home and she never went to the bathroom barely ate, I thought it was just because we were taking her away form her mother for the first time. I was wrong. When I got back we went to my boyfriend’s house first and he has a black lab, first dog the puppy had seen. Scared her so much she peed herself and when she peed she screamed (yelped) so loud I thought Dodger had gotten a hold of her. And my sister who stopped by to tell me my dad was going to kill me because it took us so long to get home, said Ashley that dog has puss coming how of her who ha. I’m like oh great. SO that’s what’s wrong with her. So when I got home after finding out my puppy was sick my dad goes (her tongue is black, must have some chow in he) she’s going to be mean she has too much chow in her. I’m like oh god I thought I did good and found a good dog and nope I was wrong so now I feel bad and my dog is going to horrible.
    Is that true with all chows?
    I have had one before who was mixed with a dachshund and was one of the best dogs I have ever had she lived until she was 15 and just passed away in April. (I got her when I was 8 mos. Old)
    Someone please help.
    Oh and should I call the SPCA on those people? I feel bad for those dogs, if I did call them would they say who told on them? Please help…
    -Ashley

2. nern

nern New Member

I would definately call the SPCA on these people.

No, this is not true. While genetics does have a some impact on temperment...the way the dog is raised and treated has a much larger impact. Besides this puppy is only part Chow (maybe)...they are not the only breed with purple tongues. Raise the puppy right and you will most likely end up with a wonderful adult dog. Is your father going to let you keep the puppy?

Here is a site with some info on Chow Chows:
    http://www.chowchows.com/information.html

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

She has an infection. Make sure she see's a vet fast. She needs her shots too before bringing her around other dogs. Don't let her around other dogs or where starnge dog walk. Germs can be transfered easily. Get her dewormed too. Just make sure she gets all the care a new pup needs.
    All dogs have the ability to become perfect house pets or mean and evil. It is how you care for them. Take her with you everywhere after all her shots are taken care of. And teach her how to behave. She can be a great pet.

4. cucci81071

cucci81071 New Member

chow mixes

Hello, I would not worry about your puppy being chow mixed. We have a black lab chow mix and he is the sweetest thing you will ever meet. He loves everyone. He has a purple black tongue as well. He loves everything and everyone and everyone loves him. Have not had any problems with him in the 9 yrs we have had him. We also got him as a puppy about 8 weeks I think. I agree with the people that said it's all in how you raise him. Treat him well and teach him right from wrong and good behavioral skills and he should be a great pet for years to come. cucci10871

5. asdmom

asdmom New Member

sounds like you did a great thing by taking this puppy and giving her a home she really deserves. as much as i feel you should report these people to the aspca i wonder what happens with the dogs the aspca takes? i have not heard the best things about how the shelters and pounds run in west virginia. if there is an excellent chance the dogs will be taken, treated and found homes for then i would do it. if the chance is greater that they will be euthanized then you need to decide based on what you saw if the dog would be better off staying where it is . i never hesitate in my town to take animals i find to the pound because i know that if the owners aren't found they will not put them to sleep. they will find foster or adoptive homes for them. it is really a tough call.
    i have a chow mix. the most intelligent dog i have ever met but a handful to raise. i wouldn't get rid of her based on the fact she has chow in her. raising her right will determine how her behavior is not neccesarily her breed.

6. QueenyJr

QueenyJr New Member

Hey Everyone!
    All of my dogs needs to get their shots, we had money problems and couldn't take them (my dad lost his job bnut has a new one and everything is better:)) but, monday shes going to get vet checked and everythign as well as my other dogs. I will not report the people because the town doesn't even have a dog pund/ or catcher dogs run wild down there.
    THe puppy is doing great she has slept with me every night. Not doing weel with crating when i leave but she'll get better. Going potty outside and all that she has a few accidents like when i left her in her crate becuas ei was busy all day yesterday...oops. But other than shes doing great.
    My dad is still saying i will be lucky if she doens't have an attitude... but I know i can make her a "normal" pet if i work with her. Her jsut has a bad outlook on things. Shes a good dog..I am very attacted to her even after two days of having her!!:)

7. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I know its hard to take in somethng like that. But you should still call the police on them. They have the authority to take action for animal abuse and neglect. Its your duty. If what you saw is true, then you shouldn't have a problem calling. All you have to do is call them, give them the information they need, and tell them you want to remain annoynmous (sp) and they won't reveal who you are.

Sounds to me like the puppy has a bad UTI problem, and along with that is probably poor nutrition and no vaccinations. I imagine its full of worms as well. I highly suggest taking her to the vet and having her checked up on get all thevaccinations, and a worming treatment. I would also have them bather her in case she's got mites or anoy other parisites.

Another fine example of BYB's and people who just plain don't give a damn anymore!!!

8. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

Oueeny I had a red chow, one of the best dogs anyone could ask for. She woul;dnt have hurt a thing and loved children. Tell your dad id probable bite him before my chow would. Her name was cimmond Candy. Can't spell sorry. Good luck to you and your dog. What diod the vet say about her? Hope she gets well really soon.