1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I have a 10 gallon tank and

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by erin, Feb 1, 2005.

1. erin

erin New Member

wanted to know what fish do well in cold water? and I can have more than one ?

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

You could try White Clouds, Some species of Crabs, Ghost Shrimp, or Snails.

3. erin

erin New Member

what are white clouds ? :?

4. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

White cloud Minnows

[​IMG]

5. erin

erin New Member

thanks !! I wanted to ask you a question .. I wanted to get a black moor goldfish and i was wondering whwat others can they be with or can i put 2 or three in one tank .. or what compatability do they have with other fresh water fish that can stand cold water that require no heating.

6. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Black Moore can get quite large and goldfish can get quite messy. They're more suited to a pond then an aquarium.

7. erin

erin New Member

well I have a big tank and wonder if i should just get 2 black moor gold fish? they say they can live in waters close to freezing and i dont want to get qa heater so i thought that they would be a good fit ... do you know of any other fishes that do well in cold water ?

8. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

your common gold fish can get up to 8" as can lionheads, pearl scales, fantail goldfish and black moors. these fish are all the same kind, but have different things that make them difference. for example. Your common goldfish, flatish, with a V tail and a dorsal (top fin) steering fins (at front) a tail, and anal fins.

Your black moor looks very much like a fancy goldfish, with its rounded shape and all its fins, but its black and some have telescopic eyes.

Your lion head will look as if it is growing a brain on the top of its head, and some types of this fish have no dorsal fin. your fancy goldfish, is again, like the black moor, but it has various colours, like the lion head, abd has more than the basic tail of a goldfish, it has more tail which looks bushyer etc. this is the same with the black more etc.

Your peralscale looks like it has literaly swalled a golf ball, and its scales petrood somewhat as if it has a diesease, but it doesnt.

you can also get whether loaches. the look like long worms, with a dorsal fin, sterring fins etc, and has a fan shaped flat tail that is like this ( rounded shape at the end.

They are great as they have great character, and go crazy over water changes, or temp change.

in a 10 gallon you would manage maybe to small black moors, but may have problems with theyre size later on.

the white cloud mountain minnows will be great, they need a shcool but only get about an inch each, the same as gold monnows, which are exactly the same as your white clouds, they're just a gold colour.

you can also get small algae eaters. some refer to them as chinese algae eaters, they will clean your glass of algae, and live on algae (so no feeding needed to them). they grow about an inch tall and half an inch wide. they look like V.miniture rays.

Hope this helps.

Amy.
    xx

9. erin

erin New Member

thanks!!! :eek:

10. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Chinese Algae Eaters can get up to 12". They will clean algae when they are young but as they get older they stop eating the algae and need to be fed flakes/wafers. They are also known to become aggressive towards other fish when they get older.

True CAE's look nothing like rays. The closest I'd compare them to are oto's.

CAE
    [​IMG]

11. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

nope, thats not the algae eater im on about, i know theres those, but one of our LFS even where i work refere to a plecco that stays small and looks like a ray as a chinese algae eater. i cdnt remember their real name so went with what they call them in UK in my area.

theyre like small rays, they stay small and they stay on the glass. ah! iv got it, theryre real name is HONG KONG PLECCO!

but everyone here cals them chinese algae eaters, and refer o the pic u showed as a gold algae eater.

thank you, for helping me remember.

amy. x

12. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Ah I see.

There are also different variations of the CAE I posted. They also come in a gold color so that probably explains why they call them gold algae eaters.

[​IMG]

13. erin

erin New Member

great!! thank you all for your help.
    I think I am going to get two black moor gold fishies and i was wondering what else can i put in with them? they can also survive in cold water and thts good since i dont want to buy a heater. :y_the_best:

14. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Are you keeping the Black Moore in the 10G and then moving them to the bigger tank when they grow larger?

If not you should probably stick to just the Black Moore.

If you're planning on moving them, I've heard of people keeping Bloodfin Tetras, Guppies, Platy's and Zebra Danios in cool water although I don't know first hand how they would work out.

15. erin

erin New Member

I now have a 15 gallon tank and want to get two black moors and maybe another fish what do you recomend?

16. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How big is your bigger tank? Anything else in it right now?

If you plan on keeping the fish in the 10 gallon for it's entire life, then just get a single black moor and absolutely nothing else. But personally, I wouldn't even keep a moor in anything smaller than a 20 gallon. A 10 gallon is really a tiny tank and a black moor (althought it's one of the smaller varietites of goldfish) still isn't exactly a small fish (picture something the size of a softball swimming around in your tank). If you want something to stay in the 10 gallon long term, I'd get some minnows (maybe 5). White clouds and rosies are commonly available. Although rosies probably won't be the healthiest when you get them because they're normally sold as feeders, they really are interesting fish and are very underrated.

-Chelle

17. erin

erin New Member

maybe i will put them in my 20 gal tank ??? i wwant to get two black moors , cause they dont need heaters.
    I know that they can last in cold water .

18. erin

erin New Member

what does a rosie fish look like

19. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

20. dude412

dude412 New Member

jus get a heater there like10-20 bucks man jus trpoicals are prettier than gold fish