1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

i have a Question about cichlids

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by michel, Jul 18, 2005.

1. michel

michel New Member

i have 4 cichlids in a 10 gallon thes r u cichlids i have convict, bullgod,green texes and a african they r all about 1.5 inches right now iam thinking about geting a beger tank can u tell me how beg they each grow and give me some info about them

2. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Really, none of the fishes that you mentioned should live together or alone in a ten gallon tank. You might consider going back to your local fish shop and try to return them for something a little smaller and not as mean. These are all agressive fish that will fight and not get along with each other.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Well, the african most likely is not compatible with the other fish. A lot will depend on the exact species (a picture would help), but if it was sold in a mixed/assorted african tank, it is most likely a Lake Malawi mbuna or peacock. In which case it should get somewhere between 4" and 6" and could require anywhere from a 45 - 120+ gallon tank (mainly because it will best with a large group of similar african cichlids due to it's aggressive nature). But really, since it is sort of the "odd man out" I recommend that you return it.

As for the other fish, cons get 4" - 6" (depending on the sex) and are highly aggressive. They require at least 15 - 20 gallons each. Green texas cichlids get around 12" and require at least 50 gallons each. Bullgod - check that name again. I've never heard of any fish with that name.

As it is, you're looking at requiring at least a 100 - 150 gallon tank (depending on what the bullgod really is). Unless you can get a larger tank within the next month, I really recommend returning all your fish and getting something more suitable for a 10 gallon tank.

-Chelle

4. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Definatly agree with t. defienatly get rid of ALL of those cichlids. When u said bigger tank, and u were thinking of about a 20gallon then u can keep the convict, but the convict alone, i got lucky with my convict and it gets along with my fish, but normaly it will wail the hell out of any other fish.

If your just gonna keep the 10g get some nice tetras maybe guppys, mollys, swords, platies. Things that stay really small.

A 10 gallon is way to small!

5. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

no offence but you really need help with your spelling..

6. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

as tchell said you are going to need tank 100 and 150 and if don't the right name for the other fish <bullgod > post a pic and we can try a figure it out

7. lil shant

lil shant New Member

i think he ment bulldog i have seen some on the san jose california pet store and it was about 8 inches