1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I Have Just Bought A Piranha

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Kirk, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Kirk

Kirk New Member

I have just purchased a "red breasted pirhana". The woman at the pet store told me that it would be the size of a loonie. I am going to pick it up on Wendsday. I am going to house it in a ten gallon tank for a month until I get my fifty-five. Do you think that this tank will be adequate? And what should I feed the fish other than bloodworms?

2. hooterhead

hooterhead New Member

what is a "loonie"? it should be good in the 10 for a little while as long as it isn't more than a couple of inches long. you'll still have to stay on top of your water changes though, as i imagine this fish will produce enormous amounts of waste.

3. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

a loonie is a 1 dollar coin in canada.
    we do not have 1 dollar bills.

4. hooterhead

hooterhead New Member

how big is it? quarter, silver dollar in america?

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I believe a loonie is about quarter sized (1"/2.5cm).

RBP's get around 12" (31cm) plus they should be kept in groups of at least 3. And to properly house 3 of them, you're looking at about a 100+ gallon tank.

-Chelle

6. hooterhead

hooterhead New Member

i agree with chelle. i wouldn't put just one red belly in a tank all by himself. he'll get lonely. :(

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

also, a single RBP is far more likely to be skittish and cower all day long than if you had a few together.

8. M_wm

M_wm New Member

If you keep a Piranha by them selfs they are the most boring fish in the world unless it is something like a manny that can only be kept alone.

9. Trickster

Trickster New Member

DO NOT get that RBP, very dumb idea, they grow 12" and need 100+ tanks as mentioned, if u realy wanted them u could go 4 of em in a 120 gallon.