1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I just bought a betta!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Maraya, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Maraya

Maraya New Member

Hello

I usually post on the doggie thread.......but I'm also, the proud new owner of a BETTA fighter fishie. He's maroon, real pretty......stares at me and flares his "mane" alot. I named him Abe. any tips on keeping my baby happy healthy and alive for a LONG time? 8)

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

3. Maraya

Maraya New Member

thanks for the links...i'll check em out. my fishy is now in a half gallon round goldfish type bowl.....with rocks and a tiny tree thingy........but next week he (Abe) will be in a one gallon. i can't maintain anything bigger. but i want him to have a little castle for a hiding place during stress.........he loves to hide....but also loves to come to the glass and say hi to me....he gets real excited when i get home........he'll stare at me lol....when i'm watching tv. :mrgreen:

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually, a larger tank (like a 3 - 5 gallon) would be a lot easier to maintain than a 1 gallon. A 1 gallon would need 100% water changes every 3 days, but a 3 - 5 gallon with a small filter would only need about 20% every 1 - 2 weeks.

-Chelle

5. Maraya

Maraya New Member

oh really? okay i'm going to the pet store today so i'll look into that one. thanks!! :D

6. drab911

drab911 New Member

Hello there...
    I have a planted 16 gallon tank and at the time i bought my betta I kept him in a fish bowl thinkin he couldnt get along with the other fish..
    anyways the bowl was SUCH a pain to keep clean and changing the water... so I ended up putting him in my big tank and he LOVES it! much healthier looking.. so the size definatly matters and filters help SO much for keeping it clean!
    good luck!