1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

I need goldfish help please!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Natalya, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Natalya

Natalya New Member

I have had a goldfish for about 5 years. I started off with 5, but over the years they have passed on and only one remains. Just recently, i have noticed that when i walk into the room, the goldfish is always in the same corner at the very bottom of the tank. He sits very still and doesnt move. As soon as he notices i am there, he swims around fine and doesnt seem to be sick. Could it be that my goldfish is depressed because he is in the only fish left, or is he sick in some way? let me know your thoughts! Thanks.

2. tina1

tina1 New Member

Hi, welcome :)

First off I think we need a few more details. Could you please post back with the size of the tank, temperature, and values for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Also, how large is the goldfish now? Is it a common goldfish or another type? Does the fish eat?

Sorry for all the questions but it is kind of hard to get to the bottom of some things like this without more information.

Thanks

3. Tank

Tank New Member

Hi, i reckon as he's been in your tank for 5 years and assuming you havent neglected your water changes lately he's just lonely and glad to see you when you walk in.

4. Natalya

Natalya New Member

more info

just to let you know more info- i've got a ten gallon tank. its' just a common goldfish. i keep the tempreature at room temperature. I keep the tank clean and change the water often. however, i dont know the nitrate and ammonia levels. All that I do know is that I add nuetralizing drops that's supposed to control that stuff whenever i change the water. Thanks again. Natalya

5. Natalya

Natalya New Member

one more thing

Also, the fish does eat! like i said, He seems totally normal as soon as i come into the room. Would you suggest getting another fish to keep him company?

6. M_wm

M_wm New Member

ya I wouldnt keep him by himself

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

A 10 gallon is too small for a common goldfish (they get 12"+). And if he still fits in there (how big is he anyway?) after 5 years, I'm guessing he's stunted which isn't too good. And most products that claim to neutralize ammonia just cause more problems in the long run. You should NOT be adding any more fish. The first thing you need to do is test the water for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte. When you do, please post the numbers.

Also, how often and how large are your water changes?

-Chelle